Re: [midatlanticretro] possibly interesting DECtape

  • ahm
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2005
      On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 06:17:27PM -0500, David Gesswein wrote:
      > > an operating system called P?S (Poly Question Society),

      > Haven't heard of that one. Do you know what it was like?

      Not after 30 years, I don't. :)

      > I have been able to get an error free dump of about 80-90% of the tapes
      > I have tried.

      What (or where) do you dump to?
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2005
        > > I have been able to get an error free dump of about 80-90% of the tapes
        > > I have tried.
        >
        > What (or where) do you dump to?

        I use the same web interface people use to run the machine over the net.
        It stores it on my webserver in SIMH format. The webserver is also retro,
        it is a 486/66 I upgraded to 133 with 64MB ram 40GB disk.

        The PDP-8/E is interfaced to the parallel port of the PC using a custom card
        I made that allows remote control of front panel functions and databreak
        access to memory. I will need to get a laptop setup to control it.

        David Gesswein
        http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
        Have any PDP-8 stuff you're willing to part with?