Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: TRS-80 software

  • Hex Star
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 4, 2007
      Interestingly enough I do use dyndns.com services for my subdomain that points to my server. Yes it *is* possible for me to use a http server instead of kdx. But as mentioned on my website I chose kdx because: it is an instant community with built in chat/voice chat capability, news, private messaging, and of course the file sharing feature. Not only that but it has a high amount of configurability and configuring permissions is easy with kdx. It provides easy ability to monitor connections, kick users, see what users are doing, etc etc ...meanwhile with http, you get a webserver but then you have to configure a forum, a chatroom, and such seperately which involves installing and configuring php and mysql in addition to the http server. Not only that but due to the higher usage of apache and the open source nature of apache it is necessary to upgrade apache much more frequently then kdx which has no known exploits for it. In addition kdx has builtin flood protection so users who try to hammer the server automatically get kicked and banned. So in essence, because my server is targeted as a community based environment with the addition of serving files kdx fills the void perfectly by doing all of that with ease.

      So c'mon guys, lets keep the contributions going! I'd really like to be able to reconstruct Ira's archive for the benefit of the vintage computing community and it's up to you guys as to whether or not that'll truly happen, lets make it happen, ok? :D :)

      And again, if anyone needs help getting used to using kdx let me know at any time offlist and I'll be more then happy to assist you however possible :)

    • Hex Star
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 4, 2007
        And c'mon guys, at least I'm offering you a server which has the diskspace and bandwidth to house Ira's archive. We should all put aside our opinions about what kind of server is in use and work together to recreate Ira's archive on the server I'm offering for this purpose. After that point people can freely download the whole archive and host it on whatever type of server they prefer. So perhaps the point I'm trying to state here is that we should all just put aside our opinions on what server is best, what server we prefer and take advantage of this server as a place to put our pieces of Ira's archive together to make a complete mirror of the archive. It is from there that anyone will be able to download the entire archive that everyone helped piece together again and put their copy of the archive on whatever kind of server they want, http, ftp, hotline, kazaa...whatever, lets at least use this server as a place to put the pieces of Ira's archive back together. Afterall, we all want access to Ira's archive and so we should all do all we can to help make that a possibility again.
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 4, 2007
          Hex Star wrote:
          > Interestingly enough I do use dyndns.com <http://dyndns.com> services
          > for my subdomain that points to my server. Yes it *is* possible for me
          > to use a http server instead of kdx. But as mentioned on my website I
          > chose kdx because: it is an instant community with built in chat/voice
          > chat capability, news, private messaging, and of course the file
          > sharing feature. Not only that but it has a high amount of
          > configurability and configuring permissions is easy with kdx. It
          > provides easy ability to monitor connections, kick users, see what
          > users are doing, etc etc ...meanwhile with http, you get a webserver
          > but then you have to configure a forum, a chatroom, and such
          > seperately which involves installing and configuring php and mysql in
          > addition to the http server. Not only that but due to the higher usage
          > of apache and the open source nature of apache it is necessary to
          > upgrade apache much more frequently then kdx which has no known
          > exploits for it. In addition kdx has builtin flood rotection so users
          > who try to hammer the server automatically get kicked and banned. So
          > in essence, because my server is targeted as a community based
          > environment with the addition of serving files kdx fills the void
          > perfectly by doing all of that with ease.
          >
          > So c'mon guys, lets keep the contributions going! I'd really like to
          > be able to reconstruct Ira's archive for the benefit of the vintage
          > computing community and it's up to you guys as to whether or not
          > that'll truly happen, lets make it happen, ok? :D :)

          I for one will not be helping with something that is closed software,
          closed protocol and it put out by a small company/group that I have
          never heard of or even read about on any tech/geek/nerd news service..

          All anybody needs to do is buy a set of those DVDs that has a copy of
          his site and then make a torrent (open!) of it or accessible via ftp
          (open!).

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 4, 2007
            Hex Star wrote:
            > And c'mon guys, at least I'm offering you a server which has the
            > diskspace and bandwidth to house Ira's archive. We should all put
            > aside our opinions about what kind of server is in use and work
            > together to recreate Ira's archive on the server I'm offering for this
            > purpose. After that
            How about I do not like installing unknown software on my computer?

            > point people can freely download the whole archive and host it on
            > whatever type of server they prefer. So perhaps the point I'm trying
            > to state here is that we should all just put aside our opinions on
            > what server is best, what server we prefer and take advantage of this
            > server as a place to put our pieces of Ira's archive together to make
            > a complete mirror of the archive. It is from there that anyone will be
            > able to download the
            But I cannot download from your server...

            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 4, 2007
              What are those dvd sets listed as on ebay?
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 4, 2007
                Hex Star wrote:
                > What are those dvd sets listed as on ebay?
                > __.
                It looks like they are not there right now.. Another way would be to
                ask Ira nicely.. Or, if you have a list of what is in his collection,
                see if it is already part of TOSEC. (http://www.tosec.info/ or
                http://www.tosec.org/ for the dats).

                Was his collection just software?

                Cheers,

                Bryan

                P.S. The last posted TOSEC for all of the TRS-80 computers which
                includes software, manuals, magazines, books, comics and catalog is
                19.10 GB.
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 5, 2007
                  "Hex Star" <hexstar@...> wrote: [in summary]

                  > A non http website is not a difficulty exactly...why?
                  > The KDX client is
                  > supported on a broad range of platforms... everyone in
                  > today's modern world will be able to access the
                  > server. This is especially so as people tend not to
                  > surf the web on their
                  > vintage computers...

                  > ....can you really expect to find hosting at [$100 annually]
                  > that provides 1TB+ of
                  > diskspace and unmetered bandwidth as this server requires? ;-)
                  >
                  > As for the power, that is just part of life..
                  > an extra $8 or so to the bill is
                  > trivial at best...
                  >
                  > As for why I run KDX. That is explained on my servers website
                  >.... webspace has been
                  > donated to me with a max of 100gb free diskspace and since
                  > my server currently uses about 800gb of diskspace...
                  > thus I switched to KDX....more on that on my servers website)

                  I thought about various replies to this. But I read your other posts,
                  and I decided I don't have much of a response. Whatever it is you are
                  doing, seems to me the issues raised have little to do with "vintage
                  computing", which is what I expect to read about in this mail list.
                  How you intend to service your potential "vintage computing" clients,
                  is for you to sort out. Since my advice was not useful or relevant, I
                  won't offer more.

                  Herb Johnson

                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                • Hex Star
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 5, 2007
                    On 6/5/07, Herb Johnson <hjohnson@...> wrote:
                    > I thought about various replies to this. But I read your other posts,
                    > and I decided I don't have much of a response. Whatever it is you are
                    > doing, seems to me the issues raised have little to do with "vintage
                    > computing", which is what I expect to read about in this mail list.
                    > How you intend to service your potential "vintage computing" clients,
                    > is for you to sort out. Since my advice was not useful or relevant, I
                    > won't offer more.
                    >
                    > Herb Johnson

                    It is snide comments like yours that are unappreciated. My server is
                    doing fine thank you very much. And my server is very much vintage
                    computing oriented, in fact it is completely vintage computing
                    oriented. I get many daily visitors and many new visitors as well and
                    constantly get people saying how they enjoy my server and all the
                    vintage software on it.

                    I do not appreciate you referring to my visitors as "clients", this is
                    rude and very inappropriate. My visitors are not "clients" at all as
                    you say because my server is not in any way, shape, or form a pay
                    server. It is a completely free and open server with no bandwidth or
                    downloading restrictions and many people who enjoy vintage computing
                    enjoy and benefit from my offering.

                    The KDX client is perfectly fine for this audience as there is a
                    client for Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, Linux, and Windows. This woks because
                    in today's world those who still surf the web on their vintage
                    computers are in the minority, most people simply download the vintage
                    software they are in need of from the internet on their more modern
                    computer and then transfer the file(s) from their more modern computer
                    to their vintage computer.

                    I do not know why you seem to have a grudge against me but I wish to
                    politely request that if all you have to say is snide remakrs to me
                    that you do not respond to my posts, thank you :)
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 5, 2007
                      Hex: we don't like personal insults here from ANYONE. Clearly you didn't
                      bother to read up on Herb's background. He's been working with
                      used/obsolete computer hw/sw/docs since before you (and I!) were born.
                      Instead of arguing, go to www.retrotechnology.com and learn something.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 5, 2007
                        Hex Star wrote:
                        > On 6/5/07, Herb Johnson <hjohnson@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> I thought about various replies to this. But I read your other posts,
                        >> and I decided I don't have much of a response. Whatever it is you are
                        >> doing, seems to me the issues raised have little to do with "vintage
                        >> computing", which is what I expect to read about in this mail list.
                        >> How you intend to service your potential "vintage computing" clients,
                        >> is for you to sort out. Since my advice was not useful or relevant, I
                        >> won't offer more.
                        >>
                        >> Herb Johnson
                        >>

                        > It is snide comments like yours that are unappreciated. My server is
                        > doing fine thank you very much. And my server is very much vintage
                        > computing oriented, in fact it is completely vintage computing
                        > oriented. I get many daily visitors and many new visitors as well and
                        > constantly get people saying how they enjoy my server and all the
                        > vintage software on it.

                        His comments were not "snide" in any shape or form. Herb was trying to
                        be helpful in his first post to you and made a couple of very good
                        points which you blew off.

                        > I do not appreciate you referring to my visitors as "clients", this is
                        > rude and very inappropriate. My visitors are not "clients" at all as
                        > you say because my server is not in any way, shape, or form a pay
                        > server. It is a completely free and open server with no bandwidth or
                        > downloading restrictions and many people who enjoy vintage computing
                        > enjoy and benefit from my offering.
                        >

                        > cli·ent (klnt)
                        > /n./
                        > *1. * The party for which professional services are rendered, as by an
                        > attorney.
                        > *2. * A customer or patron: clients of the hotel.
                        > *3. * A person using the services of a social services agency.
                        > *4. * One that depends on the protection of another.
                        > *5. * A client state.
                        > *6. * /Computer Science/ A computer or program that can download files
                        > for manipulation, run applications, or request application-based
                        > services from a file server.
                        > vis·i·tor (vz-tr)
                        > /n./
                        > One that visits: Sunday afternoon visitors; lost the game to the visitors.
                        Visitor and client are pretty close, but "client" is the better word as
                        you are providing a service (vintage computing repository). You choose
                        to provide said services for free. Also, you have a server and the
                        computers who connect to you are called clients! ;)

                        > The KDX client is perfectly fine for this audience as there is a
                        > client for Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, Linux, and Windows. This woks because
                        > in today's world those who still surf the web on their vintage
                        > computers are in the minority, most people simply download the vintage
                        > software they are in need of from the internet on their more modern
                        > computer and then transfer the file(s) from their more modern computer
                        > to their vintage computer.

                        It is still a closed protocol with closed software by an unknown
                        company. This software also needs to communicate with the internet so
                        there is also a matter of trust.

                        > I do not know why you seem to have a grudge against me but I wish to
                        > politely request that if all you have to say is snide remakrs to me
                        > that you do not respond to my posts, thank you :)

                        Herb does *not* have a grudge against you. He was only trying to help
                        you. You have decided that his comments were "snide" and "rude".

                        Here is a tip: When you join a new mailing-list group, you should take
                        some time and read past messages plus the new messages coming in to get
                        a feel for the group. This way you may be able to better understand the
                        list members who post here regularly and see how everything ebbs and
                        flows...

                        Cheers,

                        Bryan
                      • John Allain
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 5, 2007
                          Probably the best thing to do is to wait a week before pursuing this
                          topic much further. Many members of this list have to concentrate
                          on the VCFe for the next 6 days, and don't have much time to stray
                          to other topics right now.

                          I see you're already getting some attention, but if you want to have
                          friends, be friendly and step back.

                          John A.

                          > It is ... comments like ... that are unappreciated.
                        • Hex Star
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 5, 2007
                            OK sorry guys, didn't mean to get into a big thing... I'll drop the argument :). My reply wasn't meant to start a fight, when I read Herb's post I felt is was poking at me saying that my server's (and this is most certainly not true!) contents is offtopic for this list and that I was somehow charging my visitors for access to my server and thus I replied defensively. However I suppose I overreacted to his post and will take some more time looking at his writing style before overreacting to anything he says to me again. Please accept my apologies :)

                            However I would like to say that I have not been attempting to spam this list with shameless plugs to my server. Rather I heard about the bad news about Ira's archive and decided to try and act so as to get a mirror of it up and running. Since I have a server dedicated to vintage computing I thought what better purpose for the server then to house a mirror of the reconstruction of Ira's archive and thus I started stating on this list that people should contribute what they have of Ira's archive to my server so we can reconstruct it. The point then would be that there would be a live place to download Ira's archive from and people could do what they want with it whether that be putting it on a http server, ftp server, hotline, kdx, whatever they could do what they want with the archive. That was my intention however it seems like people are not interested in my offer to lend a hand in this effort so I shall shut up on this subject :)
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 5, 2007

                              >>> will take some more time looking at his writing style before overreacting to anything he says to me again.

                              Ugh … the problem is not Herb or his writing.  Herb was right and I think it’s clear that we all support him.

                              >>> That was my intention however it seems like people are not interested

                              That’s not ENTIRELY true.  Your objective basically feels altruistic, which is good.  It’s the way you went about it that annoyed people.

                              Rather than apologizing, please just learn from it.