New pcb design for S-100 prototype board available

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2007
      I've been working on a pcb design for a S-100 prototype board. I noticed
      a few people on the forums asking about this. I decided to make this
      since this is a big hobby of mine too. I based this design on a old
      prototype board I kept back from the S-100 days. It's made by Electronic
      Control Technology.

      Here's a link to the picture
      http://pghvintage.home.comcast.net/pics/S-100/s-100_prototypeboard.jpg

      There were several different styles made before--each with their own
      advantages. This prototype board(in pic) has the rows in a vertical
      pattern to allow 300mil and 600mil DIP packages. It also accommodates 2
      voltage regulators. Then there were some which only had a grid of solder
      pads to allow any arrangement of 300mil and 600mil DIP packages.

      I like to ask everyone what their preference might be in the arrangement
      of the solder pads, eg: vertical rows, horizontal rows, grid, etc. If I
      get enough feedback, I can include 2 different styles. It's not much
      work to alter the design. I have a panel setup to include 2 pcb designs
      at the moment, and it can be any 2 kinds of S-100 designs. In the
      future, I like to setup a bigger panel to include several more S-100
      designs.

      Since this is mainly a hobby for me, I thought I might help out and
      offer this service. I'm designing this from my home workshop and intend
      to make this an affordable hobby. In case anyone is interested, with
      enough orders(minimum 30) then I can offer these for only $15 each.

      please send any feedback.
      =Dan Roganti

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

        > I've been working on a pcb design for a S-100 prototype board.
        > http://pghvintage.home.comcast.net/pics/S-100/s-100_prototypeboard.jpg
        >
        > I like to ask everyone what their preference might be in the
        arrangement
        > of the solder pads, eg: vertical rows, horizontal rows, grid, etc. If I
        > get enough feedback, I can include 2 different styles. It's not much
        > work to alter the design. I have a panel setup to include 2 pcb designs
        > at the moment, and it can be any 2 kinds of S-100 designs. In the
        > future, I like to setup a bigger panel to include several more S-100
        > designs.
        >.... with
        > enough orders(minimum 30) then I can offer these for only $15 each.
        >
        > please send any feedback.
        > =Dan Roganti http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

        It's a nice, straightforward protoboard design you've photographed.
        Can you really offer these at $15, with *plated edge connectors*, all
        drilled out - and still cover your costs? Maybe you can make some
        boards (of my design) for ME on those terms! We can talk privately
        about stuff like that (after the upcoming VCF show).

        The only downside to your vertical runs of chips is that it limits
        chip count. Some protos are horizontal runs, some are perforated at .1
        centers on the whole board. I'd prefer the whole-board perforated
        design, and run my own grounds and power, for maximum flexibility. But
        for a simple design using a dozen to 20 small chips, or a few large
        chips, your board will do the job.

        So good luck on your project! Keep me posted.

        Herb Johnson
        yeah, Dr. S-100

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007
          Herb,

          The cost is based on getting a batch order of 30 boards. I'm not
          keeping an inventory here. I'm just designing this and looking for
          people to join in. That way we can get it at a reasonable cost. This
          design includes all the accouterments.

          The vertical rows do seem to have a bigger limitation. Maybe it's better
          to go with the grid pattern. I was thinking about adding the decode
          logic too. But I haven't decide on whether to use discrete TTL logic or
          a common PLD to save space.

          Since this my hobby, I'm doing this mostly for fun and whatever bonus
          there is at the end is alright by me :)

          I'll be glad to help out on any design you might have. Send me email
          offline and we can talk some more.

          =Dan