Re: VCF East events

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2007
      > Upon the date 12:27 PM 5/25/2007, Evan Koblentz said something like:

      > >I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill.
      > >I might try to
      > >get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
      > >InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76"
      show
      > >in Atlantic City.

      More speakers would be better, particular on Sunday.

      Personal Computing '76 was a pivotal event, as 1976 was over a year
      out from the introduction of the MITS Altair 8800, and months after
      the IMSAI 8080. Other companies, or individuals starting companies,
      were producing plug-compatible cards. I have it from two sources that
      it was at THIS show that consensus was established to name the Altair
      and IMSAI bus the "S-100" bus. 1976 was also the first full year of
      general CP/M sales, which will be discussed in my VCF-E talk.

      If I give a talk at the next VCF, it will be on S-100 bus history. So
      I'd love to hear about that show and events of that year.

      "Christian R. Fandt" <cfandt@...> wrote:

      > Evan,
      >
      > I know John Dilks personally and I think he would be a good speaker
      to have
      > at VCF East. There must be stories on the trials and tribulations of
      > setting up such a (then) pioneering show. He and I have been strongly
      > involved with antique radios for years (35+ for me) and I know him
      > exclusively under that hobby.
      >
      > He used to come to Rochester to our annual AWA Conference held every
      > August. Ever see his "mobile museum"? It's an older Winnebago-like
      motor
      > home converted to a mobile radio museum.

      I've seen something of this sort, with an Enigma codeing machine (WWII
      German crypographic computer). Would this be his exhibit? It would
      really be SOMETHING to see an Enigma again!

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA