VCF update

    Message 1 of 14 , May 26, 2007

      Hi all,

      Bryan and I went to the museum today to work on InfoAge’s second big events room.  Our main job today was to clear out several huge piles of lumber and metal.  Doesn’t sound like much fun – and it wasn’t – but it had to be done, and there is still plenty to do.  We did make a lot of progress however.

      Meanwhile, when I got home, I found email about two more exhibits.  InfoAge’s Steve G. will exhibit a second-gen Heathkit, and Mike Ross will return with his IBM minicomputers.  We’re looking into getting some three-phase power for the event, but I have no idea if we actually can do that.  Unlike last year, if we can do it, then Mike will pay the electrician’s bill.  Look for both of these exhibits to appear on the VCF web site in a day or two.

      Last year we had 16 exhibits.  With these two, we’ll have 17 now.  And two more people are still in the hopper – are you reading this, Michael Pearson and Andy Molloy…???    J   That would give us 19, plus some awesome lectures (a couple still need to be registered, but they’ll definitely happen, such as Bill D.’s and Sellam’s mega-lecture about vintage computer repair and restoration), plus the new VCF Theatre run by Jason Scott (also soon to be posted online soon.)

      I was hoping for a magic number – 20 exhibits – and we did sort of reach that, since Michael Holley is sending us a “poster exhibit” from his home in Seattle.  However we’ll put that into the MARCH booth.  Unlike last year, the MARCH booth will include several computers from our collection.  (I’ll take care of that.)

      Some things I’m still working on:

      -          t-shirts (hopefully a nicer design than last year)

      -          tables (we have them, just need to do some back-end stuff)

      -          food (trying to get a local “roach coach” this year)

      -          prizes (Sellam will help us with this, but everyone is welcome to donate something cool)

      -          signs (for parking, directional arrows, etc. – I’ll do this)

      -          power (me and Steve are working on it with the InfoAge electrician)

      -          one more lecture needed (probably Fred, or maybe one of the NJARC guys who goes back a long way with computer history, but again anyone is welcome to volunteer!)

      -          anyone want to help prepare the rooms at InfoAge?  This is REALLY important.  Ping me about it.

      -          the biggie: ADVERTISE.  Our official VCF East press release is very very very close to being finished.  I’ll post it here and then we need everyone to post it in every possible spot!!!

      Questions, suggestions, whatever: just ping me.

      - Evan

    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 14 , May 26, 2007

          See my off-list reply.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2008
            So, from tonight (well, technically last night because it's past midnight
            now), I'm staying down here at InfoAge to have more time to get ready.
            Tomorrow from 8:30-5, I have to do "real" work (aka my job, just
            remotely), and also Friday morning.

            Anyway, tonight I spent 3 hours at the local Kinko's. I made 26 posters!
            Had to go with 11x17 instead of the original plan for 17x22 (long story)
            but they all look good. Printed them on glossy heavy-stock paper. Also
            made a couple hundred "schedule of events" flyers to give to everyone who
            attends (from the general public).

            Then I stopped at the local diner for a midnight snack. Friendly and cute
            waitress, so I got her email address. ;)

            Tomorrow night I'm going on a poster-handing binge, followed by a
            test-as-many-computers-as-possible binge.

            Oh, forgot to mention, at the regular InfoAge meeting earlier tonight, we
            all cleared out the 9032-C hallway (our museum wing). Terry Lieb (wife of
            the diving club prez Dan Lieb) volunteered to sweep the hallway floor for
            us. The floor is by no means attractive (just bare, no carpet or
            anything, and full of scuff marks), but considering that we haven't got
            time to using a buffing machine or lay carpet or whatever, it's pretty
            decent. I have not seen this hallway, THIS clean, in the more than 3
            years that I've been visiting InfoAge. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier
            message, the NJARC people cleared out the lobby area for our wing, and
            they built a temporary (although nice) ramp where there used to be just
            beat-up old pallets.

            Tomorrow or Friday, whenever there's time, I/we still must: rearrange the
            furniture (not very much) in the lounge, and set up folding chairs in
            there for our lectures; hang the projection screen (I'm going to get help
            with that from more experienced InfoAge'rs); set up the tables for
            exhibitors in the dining room; set up the directional signs that I made
            tonight to guide our visitors around the facility. (I'll probably make a
            few more of those signs as needed.)

            We also still have the small but useful wooden signs that Andy made last
            year, which go out on the street corner.

            And of course the biggest news today was the pleasant surprise about our
            flyer going to 2,500 local AT&T people! Others from AT&T are going to
            show up (I'm not sure which day) to do some filming for B-roll purposes.

            Also got an email (just now) from Sellam, saying that he got an email from
            someone in the Philly area who wants to buy a VCF sales booth to rid
            himself of "a truckload of Amiga gear" and that he intends to make "a
            one-way trip," i.e. he plans to price it all to sell. So, I'll call that
            guy tomorrow and try to find a place to squeeze him in.

            Tomorrow, I'll send an email only to exhibitors, with some final information.

            Things are looking up.
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2008
              >>> Tomorrow night I'm going on a poster-handing binge

              Excuse me... that's poster "hanging" not "handing".

              Goodnight.
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 11, 2008
                By "more experienced," do you actualy mean "taller?"

                :)

                Joe

                On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                >hang the projection screen (I'm going to get help
                >with that from more experienced InfoAge'rs)

                __._,_

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 11, 2008
                  I figured someone would want this:

                  http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bks/835134536.html

                  Assortment of computer magazines from 80's and 90's for free. (greenburgh, ny)

                  Reply to: sale-835134536@... [?]
                  Date: 2008-09-10, 10:54AM EDT

                  My dad saved every magazine he ever read, byte, dr. dobbs journal, a+, softalk, and nibble magazines. They've been sitting in his basement for 10-20 years and now they're in mine and it's time for them to go. They're not complete sets, and some of them have seen a basement flood or two, but most of them are here. If you are at all interested in the history of the Apple II, or PC era as it was coming into existence, this is the history in magazine form. Probably the most valuable are the Byte magazines, there's most of the 80's sets. There's even a nibble issue in there somewhere with a letter I wrote when I was 12 that got published.
                  They're free, come and get them or I'm throwing them out.
                  Contact Stu 914 948 5194 or spamme@...

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 11, 2008
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > Also got an email (just now) from Sellam, saying that he got an email from
                    > someone in the Philly area who wants to buy a VCF sales booth to rid
                    > himself of "a truckload of Amiga gear" and that he intends to make "a
                    > one-way trip," i.e. he plans to price it all to sell. So, I'll call that
                    > guy tomorrow and try to find a place to squeeze him in.

                    mmmmmmm Amiga stuff...!!

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 11, 2008
                      > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >> Also got an email (just now) from Sellam, saying that he got an email
                      >> from
                      >> someone in the Philly area who wants to buy a VCF sales booth to rid
                      >> himself of "a truckload of Amiga gear" and that he intends to make "a
                      >> one-way trip," i.e. he plans to price it all to sell. So, I'll call
                      >> that
                      >> guy tomorrow and try to find a place to squeeze him in.
                      >>
                      > mmmmmmm Amiga stuff...!!

                      Update ... I think he's going to do an Apple exhibit (sure is a lot of
                      Apple II at this edition of the VCF!) .... and just sell his Amiga stuff
                      on the side (as I explained, conceptually, in my earlier message).
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 11, 2008
                        Bryan Pope wrote:
                        Evan Koblentz wrote:

                        Also got an email (just now) from Sellam, saying that he got an email from
                        someone in the Philly area who wants to buy a VCF sales booth to rid
                        himself of "a truckload of Amiga gear" and that he intends to make "a
                        one-way trip," i.e. he plans to price it all to sell.  So, I'll call that
                        guy tomorrow and try to find a place to squeeze him in.

                        mmmmmmm Amiga stuff...!!

                        Cheers,

                        Bryan

                        I would also accept Ahhhhhmiga stuff!
                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 11, 2008

                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          hang the projection screen (I'm going to get help
                          with that from more experienced InfoAge'rs

                          I'm bringing a DVD player if we can play some vintage movies
                          I'll have Heavy Metal(widescreen)

                          =Dan

                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 11, 2008
                            No thanks

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 7, 2012
                              Hi folks,

                              I posted about Kurtz's lecture in two BASIC newsgroups (alt.comp.basic, comp.languages.basic.misc) -- but I bet many of you know better than I do about where programmers hang out online. What are the top lists/forums specifically for programmers?

                              As we do every year, for VCF overall, I will contact universities, user groups, other historic groups, etc., as well as advertising at TCF, on Facebook (where we're facebook.com/vcfeast8), my contacts in the IT media, fliers in computers shops near InfoAge, and nagging you people to help! :) I will hold off on making this year's flier until we have more details settled.

                              Tomorrow I will test to make sure the exhibit sign-up form works properly (on the back end), and then I'll announce that it is open for use.

                              Less than four months to go. I am terrified! So much to do ....
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
                                So far we have five registered exhibitors ( http://www.vintage.org/2012/east/exhibit.php) and two registered vendors (not listed on the site, but I am trying to fix that.)