Prototype PET 2001 photo /

    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2007
      While doing some reasearch on my TRS 80 exhibit, I came upon a copy of Byte
      October 1977, and on page 54-55 there is an article about the National
      Computer Conference in Dallas, TX June 13-16. On that page is a picture of
      a prototype PET 2001.
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/commodore/2001/magazine/

      I posted two scans, one blown up so you can read the face plate.

      ...this is to my knowledge the first known magazine photo of a CBM PET
      2001, and a prototype to boot. Note that it says "PET Computer 2001" on
      the front right (as seen in the blown-up of the two scans).

      SO - If the Dallas convention marks the first public appearance of the PET
      2001.... The VCF E 3.0 will occur 30 years ago to the day (minus one week)
      from the date of the PET's first public appearance.

      Just a little pressure for Bryan's PET exhibit. :-)

      Other notes:

      Regarding the so-called low-cost "appliance computers" unveiled in 1977
      Apple II came well before the PET or the TRS 80 Model 1. The TRS 80 was
      first publicly displayed in August of 1977 at Computermania (Boston) and I
      believe also PC-77 (Atlantic City), both on the same date.

      Bill
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2007
        Bill,

        I kept a few references that I bookmarked a long time ago about the
        unveiling's of various machines.
        I haven't fully researched the accuracy of each reference, but the cross
        references do seem to correlate.

        I have some that indicate that the PET was shown publicly at the winter
        CES as early as Jan'77 .
        Then again at West Coast Computer Faire in Apr'77
        And again at the summer CES in Jun'77
        There even one reference that ,"in the beginning", Chuck Peddle tried to
        get Radio Shack to distribute this machine.
        http://www.cacs.louisiana.edu/~mgr/404/burks/pcinfo/hardware/comphist/index.htm
        http://www.commodore.ca/history/company/chronology_portcommodore.htm
        http://oldcomputers.net/pet2001.html

        That might be a good question for the panel.

        =Dan

        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2007
          At 09:31 PM 5/26/2007 -0400, you wrote:
          >Bill,
          >
          >I kept a few references that I bookmarked a long time ago about the
          >unveiling's of various machines.
          >I haven't fully researched the accuracy of each reference, but the cross
          >references do seem to correlate.
          >
          >I have some that indicate that the PET was shown publicly at the winter
          >CES as early as Jan'77 .
          >Then again at West Coast Computer Faire in Apr'77
          >And again at the summer CES in Jun'77
          >There even one reference that ,"in the beginning", Chuck Peddle tried to
          >get Radio Shack to distribute this machine.
          >http://www.cacs.louisiana.edu/~mgr/404/burks/pcinfo/hardware/comphist/index.htm
          >http://www.commodore.ca/history/company/chronology_portcommodore.htm
          >http://oldcomputers.net/pet2001.html
          >
          >That might be a good question for the panel.
          >
          >=Dan

          Dan: Interesting. I will see if I can find more info.