Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF East events

    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2007
      The sessions will be run at a time when the exhibits will be closed, so
      that there will be no issue with missing a session
      bd

      > On Fri, 25 May 2007, Herb Johnson wrote:

      >> Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
      >> step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
      >
      > As a related issue, does Infoage have any equipment onsite to provide
      > audio/video coverage of the sessions in the exhibit areas? So the
      > exhibitors can catch the sessions without leaving the room?
      >

      > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

      -END-
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2007
        > Today I recieved my first "fan mail" for my upcoming talk on early
        > CP/M at VCF East. The talk is listed under "Sessions". It may be no
        > coincidence that I got an inquiry, after my listing was recently
        > updated to include a photo and bio and reference to my Web site.
        >
        > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
        > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
        >
        > Herb Johnson

        Fan mail... that's awesome, Herb.

        I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill. Jay West
        (the moderator of classiccmp lists) * might * come from St. Louis but I
        haven't heard for sure yet. David Ahl wrote to me last night saying he'd
        love to come back to our show, but he'll be in England. I might try to
        get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
        InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76" show
        in Atlantic City. I guess his talk would be similar to Sol Libes' talk
        last year. Alternatively, Fred can talk about InfoAge history and how it
        relates to the history of computers and communications technology.
        Actually they might be the best idea.

        Updates to come...
      • Christian R. Fandt
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2007
          Evan,

          I know John Dilks personally and I think he would be a good speaker to have
          at VCF East. There must be stories on the trials and tribulations of
          setting up such a (then) pioneering show. He and I have been strongly
          involved with antique radios for years (35+ for me) and I know him
          exclusively under that hobby.

          He used to come to Rochester to our annual AWA Conference held every
          August. Ever see his "mobile museum"? It's an older Winnebago-like motor
          home converted to a mobile radio museum. He earned a prestigious award from
          the AWA several years ago for preservation of, and teaching of, radio
          communications history because of that mobile historical platform.

          Really wish we lived "Out East". Then I could actually be involved with
          MARCH and/or VCF. Then, too, I could pass on to the museum some hardware
          for the collection as I really must downsize and consolidate my computer
          and radio collections. There's only so much room and so dang little
          time. Sigh . . .

          Good luck with VCF!

          Chris F.

          NNNN

          Upon the date 12:27 PM 5/25/2007, Evan Koblentz said something like:
          > > Today I recieved my first "fan mail" for my upcoming talk on early
          > > CP/M at VCF East. The talk is listed under "Sessions". It may be no
          > > coincidence that I got an inquiry, after my listing was recently
          > > updated to include a photo and bio and reference to my Web site.
          > >
          > > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
          > > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
          > >
          > > Herb Johnson
          >
          >Fan mail... that's awesome, Herb.
          >
          >I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill. Jay West
          >(the moderator of classiccmp lists) * might * come from St. Louis but I
          >haven't heard for sure yet. David Ahl wrote to me last night saying he'd
          >love to come back to our show, but he'll be in England. I might try to
          >get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
          >InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76" show
          >in Atlantic City. I guess his talk would be similar to Sol Libes' talk
          >last year. Alternatively, Fred can talk about InfoAge history and how it
          >relates to the history of computers and communications technology.
          >Actually they might be the best idea.
          >
          >Updates to come...

          Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
          Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
          Member of Antique Wireless Association
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2007
            > Upon the date 12:27 PM 5/25/2007, Evan Koblentz said something like:

            > >I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill.
            > >I might try to
            > >get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
            > >InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76"
            show
            > >in Atlantic City.

            More speakers would be better, particular on Sunday.

            Personal Computing '76 was a pivotal event, as 1976 was over a year
            out from the introduction of the MITS Altair 8800, and months after
            the IMSAI 8080. Other companies, or individuals starting companies,
            were producing plug-compatible cards. I have it from two sources that
            it was at THIS show that consensus was established to name the Altair
            and IMSAI bus the "S-100" bus. 1976 was also the first full year of
            general CP/M sales, which will be discussed in my VCF-E talk.

            If I give a talk at the next VCF, it will be on S-100 bus history. So
            I'd love to hear about that show and events of that year.

            "Christian R. Fandt" <cfandt@...> wrote:

            > Evan,
            >
            > I know John Dilks personally and I think he would be a good speaker
            to have
            > at VCF East. There must be stories on the trials and tribulations of
            > setting up such a (then) pioneering show. He and I have been strongly
            > involved with antique radios for years (35+ for me) and I know him
            > exclusively under that hobby.
            >
            > He used to come to Rochester to our annual AWA Conference held every
            > August. Ever see his "mobile museum"? It's an older Winnebago-like
            motor
            > home converted to a mobile radio museum.

            I've seen something of this sort, with an Enigma codeing machine (WWII
            German crypographic computer). Would this be his exhibit? It would
            really be SOMETHING to see an Enigma again!

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA