Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF East events

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2007
      On Fri, 25 May 2007, Herb Johnson wrote:

      > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
      > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?

      As a related issue, does Infoage have any equipment onsite to provide
      audio/video coverage of the sessions in the exhibit areas? So the
      exhibitors can catch the sessions without leaving the room?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2007
        The sessions will be run at a time when the exhibits will be closed, so
        that there will be no issue with missing a session
        bd

        > On Fri, 25 May 2007, Herb Johnson wrote:

        >> Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
        >> step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
        >
        > As a related issue, does Infoage have any equipment onsite to provide
        > audio/video coverage of the sessions in the exhibit areas? So the
        > exhibitors can catch the sessions without leaving the room?
        >

        > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

        -END-
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2007
          > Today I recieved my first "fan mail" for my upcoming talk on early
          > CP/M at VCF East. The talk is listed under "Sessions". It may be no
          > coincidence that I got an inquiry, after my listing was recently
          > updated to include a photo and bio and reference to my Web site.
          >
          > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
          > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
          >
          > Herb Johnson

          Fan mail... that's awesome, Herb.

          I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill. Jay West
          (the moderator of classiccmp lists) * might * come from St. Louis but I
          haven't heard for sure yet. David Ahl wrote to me last night saying he'd
          love to come back to our show, but he'll be in England. I might try to
          get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
          InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76" show
          in Atlantic City. I guess his talk would be similar to Sol Libes' talk
          last year. Alternatively, Fred can talk about InfoAge history and how it
          relates to the history of computers and communications technology.
          Actually they might be the best idea.

          Updates to come...
        • Christian R. Fandt
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2007
            Evan,

            I know John Dilks personally and I think he would be a good speaker to have
            at VCF East. There must be stories on the trials and tribulations of
            setting up such a (then) pioneering show. He and I have been strongly
            involved with antique radios for years (35+ for me) and I know him
            exclusively under that hobby.

            He used to come to Rochester to our annual AWA Conference held every
            August. Ever see his "mobile museum"? It's an older Winnebago-like motor
            home converted to a mobile radio museum. He earned a prestigious award from
            the AWA several years ago for preservation of, and teaching of, radio
            communications history because of that mobile historical platform.

            Really wish we lived "Out East". Then I could actually be involved with
            MARCH and/or VCF. Then, too, I could pass on to the museum some hardware
            for the collection as I really must downsize and consolidate my computer
            and radio collections. There's only so much room and so dang little
            time. Sigh . . .

            Good luck with VCF!

            Chris F.

            NNNN

            Upon the date 12:27 PM 5/25/2007, Evan Koblentz said something like:
            > > Today I recieved my first "fan mail" for my upcoming talk on early
            > > CP/M at VCF East. The talk is listed under "Sessions". It may be no
            > > coincidence that I got an inquiry, after my listing was recently
            > > updated to include a photo and bio and reference to my Web site.
            > >
            > > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
            > > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
            > >
            > > Herb Johnson
            >
            >Fan mail... that's awesome, Herb.
            >
            >I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill. Jay West
            >(the moderator of classiccmp lists) * might * come from St. Louis but I
            >haven't heard for sure yet. David Ahl wrote to me last night saying he'd
            >love to come back to our show, but he'll be in England. I might try to
            >get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
            >InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76" show
            >in Atlantic City. I guess his talk would be similar to Sol Libes' talk
            >last year. Alternatively, Fred can talk about InfoAge history and how it
            >relates to the history of computers and communications technology.
            >Actually they might be the best idea.
            >
            >Updates to come...

            Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
            Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
            Member of Antique Wireless Association
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2007
              > Upon the date 12:27 PM 5/25/2007, Evan Koblentz said something like:

              > >I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill.
              > >I might try to
              > >get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
              > >InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76"
              show
              > >in Atlantic City.

              More speakers would be better, particular on Sunday.

              Personal Computing '76 was a pivotal event, as 1976 was over a year
              out from the introduction of the MITS Altair 8800, and months after
              the IMSAI 8080. Other companies, or individuals starting companies,
              were producing plug-compatible cards. I have it from two sources that
              it was at THIS show that consensus was established to name the Altair
              and IMSAI bus the "S-100" bus. 1976 was also the first full year of
              general CP/M sales, which will be discussed in my VCF-E talk.

              If I give a talk at the next VCF, it will be on S-100 bus history. So
              I'd love to hear about that show and events of that year.

              "Christian R. Fandt" <cfandt@...> wrote:

              > Evan,
              >
              > I know John Dilks personally and I think he would be a good speaker
              to have
              > at VCF East. There must be stories on the trials and tribulations of
              > setting up such a (then) pioneering show. He and I have been strongly
              > involved with antique radios for years (35+ for me) and I know him
              > exclusively under that hobby.
              >
              > He used to come to Rochester to our annual AWA Conference held every
              > August. Ever see his "mobile museum"? It's an older Winnebago-like
              motor
              > home converted to a mobile radio museum.

              I've seen something of this sort, with an Enigma codeing machine (WWII
              German crypographic computer). Would this be his exhibit? It would
              really be SOMETHING to see an Enigma again!

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA