VCF East events

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2007
      Today I recieved my first "fan mail" for my upcoming talk on early
      CP/M at VCF East. The talk is listed under "Sessions". It may be no
      coincidence that I got an inquiry, after my listing was recently
      updated to include a photo and bio and reference to my Web site.

      Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
      step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2007
        On Fri, 25 May 2007, Herb Johnson wrote:

        > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
        > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?

        As a related issue, does Infoage have any equipment onsite to provide
        audio/video coverage of the sessions in the exhibit areas? So the
        exhibitors can catch the sessions without leaving the room?

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2007
          I am running a session on computer restoration.
          bd

          > Today I recieved my first "fan mail" for my upcoming talk on early
          > CP/M at VCF East. The talk is listed under "Sessions". It may be no
          > coincidence that I got an inquiry, after my listing was recently
          > updated to include a photo and bio and reference to my Web site.
          >
          > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
          > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
          >
          > Herb Johnson
          >
          > Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          > http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ web site
          > http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/ domain mirror
          > my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
          > if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
          > "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
          > S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          -END-
          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2007
            The sessions will be run at a time when the exhibits will be closed, so
            that there will be no issue with missing a session
            bd

            > On Fri, 25 May 2007, Herb Johnson wrote:

            >> Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
            >> step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
            >
            > As a related issue, does Infoage have any equipment onsite to provide
            > audio/video coverage of the sessions in the exhibit areas? So the
            > exhibitors can catch the sessions without leaving the room?
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

            -END-
            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2007
              > Today I recieved my first "fan mail" for my upcoming talk on early
              > CP/M at VCF East. The talk is listed under "Sessions". It may be no
              > coincidence that I got an inquiry, after my listing was recently
              > updated to include a photo and bio and reference to my Web site.
              >
              > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
              > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
              >
              > Herb Johnson

              Fan mail... that's awesome, Herb.

              I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill. Jay West
              (the moderator of classiccmp lists) * might * come from St. Louis but I
              haven't heard for sure yet. David Ahl wrote to me last night saying he'd
              love to come back to our show, but he'll be in England. I might try to
              get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
              InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76" show
              in Atlantic City. I guess his talk would be similar to Sol Libes' talk
              last year. Alternatively, Fred can talk about InfoAge history and how it
              relates to the history of computers and communications technology.
              Actually they might be the best idea.

              Updates to come...
            • Christian R. Fandt
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2007
                Evan,

                I know John Dilks personally and I think he would be a good speaker to have
                at VCF East. There must be stories on the trials and tribulations of
                setting up such a (then) pioneering show. He and I have been strongly
                involved with antique radios for years (35+ for me) and I know him
                exclusively under that hobby.

                He used to come to Rochester to our annual AWA Conference held every
                August. Ever see his "mobile museum"? It's an older Winnebago-like motor
                home converted to a mobile radio museum. He earned a prestigious award from
                the AWA several years ago for preservation of, and teaching of, radio
                communications history because of that mobile historical platform.

                Really wish we lived "Out East". Then I could actually be involved with
                MARCH and/or VCF. Then, too, I could pass on to the museum some hardware
                for the collection as I really must downsize and consolidate my computer
                and radio collections. There's only so much room and so dang little
                time. Sigh . . .

                Good luck with VCF!

                Chris F.

                NNNN

                Upon the date 12:27 PM 5/25/2007, Evan Koblentz said something like:
                > > Today I recieved my first "fan mail" for my upcoming talk on early
                > > CP/M at VCF East. The talk is listed under "Sessions". It may be no
                > > coincidence that I got an inquiry, after my listing was recently
                > > updated to include a photo and bio and reference to my Web site.
                > >
                > > Few talks are scheduled. The show's about 20 days away. Who else will
                > > step up and provide some show-and-tell, some discussion?
                > >
                > > Herb Johnson
                >
                >Fan mail... that's awesome, Herb.
                >
                >I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill. Jay West
                >(the moderator of classiccmp lists) * might * come from St. Louis but I
                >haven't heard for sure yet. David Ahl wrote to me last night saying he'd
                >love to come back to our show, but he'll be in England. I might try to
                >get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
                >InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76" show
                >in Atlantic City. I guess his talk would be similar to Sol Libes' talk
                >last year. Alternatively, Fred can talk about InfoAge history and how it
                >relates to the history of computers and communications technology.
                >Actually they might be the best idea.
                >
                >Updates to come...

                Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
                Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
                Member of Antique Wireless Association
                  > Upon the date 12:27 PM 5/25/2007, Evan Koblentz said something like:

                  > >I'm still looking for one more speaker. We have a slot to fill.
                  > >I might try to
                  > >get John Dilks. John is a member of NJARC (and so he's already
                  > >InfoAge-friendly) and organized the famous "Personal Computing '76"
                  show
                  > >in Atlantic City.

                  More speakers would be better, particular on Sunday.

                  Personal Computing '76 was a pivotal event, as 1976 was over a year
                  out from the introduction of the MITS Altair 8800, and months after
                  the IMSAI 8080. Other companies, or individuals starting companies,
                  were producing plug-compatible cards. I have it from two sources that
                  it was at THIS show that consensus was established to name the Altair
                  and IMSAI bus the "S-100" bus. 1976 was also the first full year of
                  general CP/M sales, which will be discussed in my VCF-E talk.

                  If I give a talk at the next VCF, it will be on S-100 bus history. So
                  I'd love to hear about that show and events of that year.

                  "Christian R. Fandt" <cfandt@...> wrote:

                  > Evan,
                  >
                  > I know John Dilks personally and I think he would be a good speaker
                  to have
                  > at VCF East. There must be stories on the trials and tribulations of
                  > setting up such a (then) pioneering show. He and I have been strongly
                  > involved with antique radios for years (35+ for me) and I know him
                  > exclusively under that hobby.
                  >
                  > He used to come to Rochester to our annual AWA Conference held every
                  > August. Ever see his "mobile museum"? It's an older Winnebago-like
                  motor
                  > home converted to a mobile radio museum.

                  I've seen something of this sort, with an Enigma codeing machine (WWII
                  German crypographic computer). Would this be his exhibit? It would
                  really be SOMETHING to see an Enigma again!