Re: [midatlanticretro] Weird survey of dumbness

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2007
      Sellam Ismail wrote:
      > Hey guys.
      >
      > You represent a perfect microcosm in which to experiment with something.
      > Please bear with me here.
      >
      > If you happened upon a campaign on the web where someone wanted you to
      > send in your unwanted or unused power cords and data cables (i.e. serial,
      > parallel, SCSI, etc.) and it was for a cause you liked (e.g. in the realm
      > of vintage computing) would you:

      As much as the "cause" may be in the realm of vintage computing, this
      seems more like "collect a ton of bottle caps and we will give $10 to a
      charity".. So then the bottle caps are going to be recycled for
      scrap.. Since this sounds like a blanket call for cables, the end
      result look to be recycling as opposed to being used as the cable or
      cord was intended to be. Also, all of these cords and cables contain a
      lot of copper which just so happens to be increasing in value..

      > a) have any old cables laying around that you could do without?

      well, maybe.. but they would be better off used as intended...

      > b) be inclined to send them in to this guy?
      > c) even if you had to cover the shipping (which would be only a few bucks
      > in most cases but could hit over $20 if a big box of them is being sent)?

      Why should I cover the cost of shipping if somebody else is going to
      make money off them by recycling? Case in point: ink jet cartridges can
      be recycled for free - you can even get plastic baggies for them that
      cover the cost of shipping.

      > d) is your place of employment (if you are employed thusly) a potential
      > source for such unwanted cables and would they be willing to go along?
      >
      > I'll explain later. I know what you'll first ask ("So what's the cause?"
      > or perhaps, "Why?") But first, just tell me if, for a good cause, you
      > would go along, or if you think it's just so wacky you'd go along, or
      > would you find it dumb?

      /me looks forward to "The rest of the story"!

      Cheers,

      Bryan
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2007
        It's inefficient. If it's a good cause, why not just send $$? Why
        cables? Why give the government money to ship cables, etc.?
        Bill

        <snip>

        >I'll explain later. I know what you'll first ask ("So what's the cause?"
        >or perhaps, "Why?") But first, just tell me if, for a good cause, you
        >would go along, or if you think it's just so wacky you'd go along, or
        >would you find it dumb?
      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2007
          Dumb.
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 7 , May 22, 2007
            Sellam Ismail wrote:
            > Hey guys.
            >
            > You represent a perfect microcosm in which to experiment with something.
            > Please bear with me here.
            >
            > If you happened upon a campaign on the web where someone wanted you to
            > send in your unwanted or unused power cords and data cables (i.e. serial,
            > parallel, SCSI, etc.) and it was for a cause you liked (e.g. in the realm
            > of vintage computing) would you:
            >
            > a) have any old cables laying around that you could do without?

            Yes.

            > b) be inclined to send them in to this guy?

            If his credentials were spotless, yes.

            > c) even if you had to cover the shipping (which would be only a few bucks
            > in most cases but could hit over $20 if a big box of them is being sent)?

            If the cause were genuinely worthwile, yes. For example, I've paid for
            shipping of stuff I've donated to NetBSD developers.

            > d) is your place of employment (if you are employed thusly) a potential
            > source for such unwanted cables and would they be willing to go along?

            Very doubtful.

            > I'll explain later. I know what you'll first ask ("So what's the cause?"
            > or perhaps, "Why?") But first, just tell me if, for a good cause, you
            > would go along, or if you think it's just so wacky you'd go along, or
            > would you find it dumb?

            It doesn't seem that weird to me. I've had requests like this before.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Greg N Shari (GMail)
            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2007
              I would do it for the right cause or even for the right person. LOL

              Greg

              --

              Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival
              International Man of Intrigue and Danger http://www.vintage. org

              [ and academia at www.VintageTech. com || at http://marketplace. vintage.org ]

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 7 , May 22, 2007
                It would have to be a legitimate organization (brick 'n mortar facility).
                As Bryan mentioned, copper is in high demand (thanks to high development
                in China).
                If you haven't noticed, you can hardly find extension cords(made in
                china) at a dollar store.
                Oh and check under your cars, if you hear a sawzall (or if your muffler
                sounds really loud)
                Catalytic converters
                <http://www.10news.com/investigations/11513482/detail.html> are fetching
                a good penny at the recycler
                It has *p*lenty of *p*latinum and *p*alladium inside it
                :)
                =Dan