Re: [midatlanticretro] PIC Morrow Wunderbuss Thinker Toys Motherboard Schematic/docs

    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2007
      At 03:32 PM 5/8/2007 -0700, you wrote:
      >Nice photo. Made me want to get some marshmallows...
      >Do you have fire insurance?
      >
      >--- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Here is a pic of the affected area on the board:
      > >
      > > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
      > >
      > > Bill

      LOL
    • jack99rubin
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9, 2007
        :

        > Herb/Anyone else..
        >
        > I have a 1977 Morrow Wunderbuss "Thinker Toys" S-100 Motherboard
        with a
        > blown Zener diode near a 12+V position at the back of the board.
        Anyone
        > have a schematic? I checked Herb Johnson's site, there is nothing
        for this
        > board listed. I would like to determine the exact type of diode so
        I can
        > replace it.
        >
        > What would cause a Zener diode to pop?
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Bill

        Being on the digest version of the list, I'm a little slow to get
        messages and being disorganized enough that it took a couple of days
        to find my Wunderbuss manual, I'm a bit slow to respond...I think
        Herb pretty much covered all the relevant points.

        All I can add at this point is that the tantalum caps associated with
        the voltage regulators on this board are listed as 1 ufd on the
        schematic and called out as 20v parts in the parts list.

        Certainly no reason not to go with a higher voltage replacement -
        these guys tend to provide a common source of entertainment on many
        S100 systems and also frequently self-destruct on Heathkit H89
        systems. Yet another good reason to avoid leaning over a vintage
        system when you first power it up after a long rest.

        Always glad to pay my respects to Chairman Morrow,
        Jack