website...Re: WTD: Morrow Wunderbuss Thinker Toys Motherboard Schematic/docs

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2007
      Herb,

      I like all of the back stories on your website regarding the history of
      designing all the vintage microcomputers. That's something I always like
      to collect too, beginning with the minicomputer company where I used to
      work, SEL. There's a good book, if you haven't seen it, it's called the
      Engines of the Mind, where it has many of the back stories from the
      early machines up to the microprocessors.

      =Dan

      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2007
        At 03:32 PM 5/8/2007 -0700, you wrote:
        >Nice photo. Made me want to get some marshmallows...
        >Do you have fire insurance?
        >
        >--- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Here is a pic of the affected area on the board:
        > >
        > > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
        > >
        > > Bill

        LOL
      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 12 , May 9, 2007
          :

          > Herb/Anyone else..
          >
          > I have a 1977 Morrow Wunderbuss "Thinker Toys" S-100 Motherboard
          with a
          > blown Zener diode near a 12+V position at the back of the board.
          Anyone
          > have a schematic? I checked Herb Johnson's site, there is nothing
          for this
          > board listed. I would like to determine the exact type of diode so
          I can
          > replace it.
          >
          > What would cause a Zener diode to pop?
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Bill

          Being on the digest version of the list, I'm a little slow to get
          messages and being disorganized enough that it took a couple of days
          to find my Wunderbuss manual, I'm a bit slow to respond...I think
          Herb pretty much covered all the relevant points.

          All I can add at this point is that the tantalum caps associated with
          the voltage regulators on this board are listed as 1 ufd on the
          schematic and called out as 20v parts in the parts list.

          Certainly no reason not to go with a higher voltage replacement -
          these guys tend to provide a common source of entertainment on many
          S100 systems and also frequently self-destruct on Heathkit H89
          systems. Yet another good reason to avoid leaning over a vintage
          system when you first power it up after a long rest.

          Always glad to pay my respects to Chairman Morrow,
          Jack