Re: [midatlanticretro] PIC Morrow Wunderbuss Thinker Toys Motherboard Schematic/docs

  • Bob Grieb
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2007
      Nice photo. Made me want to get some marshmallows...
      Do you have fire insurance?

      --- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > Here is a pic of the affected area on the board:
      >
      > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
      >
      > Bill

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2007
        Herb,

        I like all of the back stories on your website regarding the history of
        designing all the vintage microcomputers. That's something I always like
        to collect too, beginning with the minicomputer company where I used to
        work, SEL. There's a good book, if you haven't seen it, it's called the
        Engines of the Mind, where it has many of the back stories from the
        early machines up to the microprocessors.

        =Dan

        Herb Johnson wrote:

        > For those who don't know: I have a very very large collection of S-100
        > manuals,

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2007
          At my old job(Lucent), I had to troubleshoot across the 'pond' using a
          vnc server on a HP16500 analyzer (unix) and a Motorola processor
          emulator from Amsterdam to Chicago.
          Always alot better than email but it helps with someone at the other end
          to wakeup and turn on the equipment (the 6hr time zone didnt help
          either--Shanghai was even worse).

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 12 , May 8, 2007
            At 03:32 PM 5/8/2007 -0700, you wrote:
            >Nice photo. Made me want to get some marshmallows...
            >Do you have fire insurance?
            >
            >--- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Here is a pic of the affected area on the board:
            > >
            > > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
            > >
            > > Bill

            LOL
          • jack99rubin
            Message 5 of 12 , May 9, 2007
              :

              > Herb/Anyone else..
              >
              > I have a 1977 Morrow Wunderbuss "Thinker Toys" S-100 Motherboard
              with a
              > blown Zener diode near a 12+V position at the back of the board.
              Anyone
              > have a schematic? I checked Herb Johnson's site, there is nothing
              for this
              > board listed. I would like to determine the exact type of diode so
              I can
              > replace it.
              >
              > What would cause a Zener diode to pop?
              >
              > Thanks.
              > Bill

              Being on the digest version of the list, I'm a little slow to get
              messages and being disorganized enough that it took a couple of days
              to find my Wunderbuss manual, I'm a bit slow to respond...I think
              Herb pretty much covered all the relevant points.

              All I can add at this point is that the tantalum caps associated with
              the voltage regulators on this board are listed as 1 ufd on the
              schematic and called out as 20v parts in the parts list.

              Certainly no reason not to go with a higher voltage replacement -
              these guys tend to provide a common source of entertainment on many
              S100 systems and also frequently self-destruct on Heathkit H89
              systems. Yet another good reason to avoid leaning over a vintage
              system when you first power it up after a long rest.

              Always glad to pay my respects to Chairman Morrow,
              Jack