Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: PIC Morrow Wunderbuss Thinker Toys Motherboard Schematic/docs

    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2007
      Herb,
      Thanks. I am learning more every day, thanks to you and others who reply
      to my questions so kindly.
      Bill

      > "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Here is a pic of the effected area on the board:
      >>
      >> http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
      >>
      >> Bill
      >
      > Shorted tantalum capacitors. They do that with age, short out and then
      > try to conduct a few amps until they flame on. Literally.
      >
      > Schematic says....1 uFd (one microfarad). Probably should be 25 volts
      > or higher. Mind the polarity when you install them! note the "+" markings.
      >
      > Herb
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      -END-
    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2007
        Nice photo. Made me want to get some marshmallows...
        Do you have fire insurance?

        --- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > Here is a pic of the affected area on the board:
        >
        > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
        >
        > Bill

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2007
          Herb,

          I like all of the back stories on your website regarding the history of
          designing all the vintage microcomputers. That's something I always like
          to collect too, beginning with the minicomputer company where I used to
          work, SEL. There's a good book, if you haven't seen it, it's called the
          Engines of the Mind, where it has many of the back stories from the
          early machines up to the microprocessors.

          =Dan

          Herb Johnson wrote:

          > For those who don't know: I have a very very large collection of S-100
          > manuals,

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 12 , May 8, 2007
            At my old job(Lucent), I had to troubleshoot across the 'pond' using a
            vnc server on a HP16500 analyzer (unix) and a Motorola processor
            emulator from Amsterdam to Chicago.
            Always alot better than email but it helps with someone at the other end
            to wakeup and turn on the equipment (the 6hr time zone didnt help
            either--Shanghai was even worse).

            =Dan

            Message 5 of 12 , May 8, 2007
              At 03:32 PM 5/8/2007 -0700, you wrote:
              >Nice photo. Made me want to get some marshmallows...
              >Do you have fire insurance?
              >
              >--- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Here is a pic of the affected area on the board:
              > >
              > > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
              > >
              > > Bill

              LOL
            • jack99rubin
              Message 6 of 12 , May 9, 2007
                :

                > Herb/Anyone else..
                >
                > I have a 1977 Morrow Wunderbuss "Thinker Toys" S-100 Motherboard
                with a
                > blown Zener diode near a 12+V position at the back of the board.
                Anyone
                > have a schematic? I checked Herb Johnson's site, there is nothing
                for this
                > board listed. I would like to determine the exact type of diode so
                I can
                > replace it.
                >
                > What would cause a Zener diode to pop?
                >
                > Thanks.
                > Bill

                Being on the digest version of the list, I'm a little slow to get
                messages and being disorganized enough that it took a couple of days
                to find my Wunderbuss manual, I'm a bit slow to respond...I think
                Herb pretty much covered all the relevant points.

                All I can add at this point is that the tantalum caps associated with
                the voltage regulators on this board are listed as 1 ufd on the
                schematic and called out as 20v parts in the parts list.

                Certainly no reason not to go with a higher voltage replacement -
                these guys tend to provide a common source of entertainment on many
                S100 systems and also frequently self-destruct on Heathkit H89
                systems. Yet another good reason to avoid leaning over a vintage
                system when you first power it up after a long rest.

                Always glad to pay my respects to Chairman Morrow,
                Jack