Re: PIC Morrow Wunderbuss Thinker Toys Motherboard Schematic/docs

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2007
      "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > Here is a pic of the effected area on the board:
      >
      > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
      >
      > Bill

      Shorted tantalum capacitors. They do that with age, short out and then
      try to conduct a few amps until they flame on. Literally.

      Schematic says....1 uFd (one microfarad). Probably should be 25 volts
      or higher. Mind the polarity when you install them! note the "+" markings.

      Herb
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2007
        Herb,
        Thanks. I am learning more every day, thanks to you and others who reply
        to my questions so kindly.
        Bill

        > "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Here is a pic of the effected area on the board:
        >>
        >> http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
        >>
        >> Bill
        >
        > Shorted tantalum capacitors. They do that with age, short out and then
        > try to conduct a few amps until they flame on. Literally.
        >
        > Schematic says....1 uFd (one microfarad). Probably should be 25 volts
        > or higher. Mind the polarity when you install them! note the "+" markings.
        >
        > Herb
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        -END-
      • Bob Grieb
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2007
          Nice photo. Made me want to get some marshmallows...
          Do you have fire insurance?

          --- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > Here is a pic of the affected area on the board:
          >
          > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
          >
          > Bill

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 12 , May 8, 2007
            Herb,

            I like all of the back stories on your website regarding the history of
            designing all the vintage microcomputers. That's something I always like
            to collect too, beginning with the minicomputer company where I used to
            work, SEL. There's a good book, if you haven't seen it, it's called the
            Engines of the Mind, where it has many of the back stories from the
            early machines up to the microprocessors.

            =Dan

            Herb Johnson wrote:

            > For those who don't know: I have a very very large collection of S-100
            > manuals,

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 12 , May 8, 2007
              At my old job(Lucent), I had to troubleshoot across the 'pond' using a
              vnc server on a HP16500 analyzer (unix) and a Motorola processor
              emulator from Amsterdam to Chicago.
              Always alot better than email but it helps with someone at the other end
              to wakeup and turn on the equipment (the 6hr time zone didnt help
              either--Shanghai was even worse).

              =Dan

              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                At 03:32 PM 5/8/2007 -0700, you wrote:
                >Nice photo. Made me want to get some marshmallows...
                >Do you have fire insurance?
                >
                >--- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Here is a pic of the affected area on the board:
                > >
                > > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/Morrow/wuderbuss_mb_s-100.jpg
                > >
                > > Bill

                LOL
              • jack99rubin
                Message 7 of 12 , May 9, 2007
                  :

                  > Herb/Anyone else..
                  >
                  > I have a 1977 Morrow Wunderbuss "Thinker Toys" S-100 Motherboard
                  with a
                  > blown Zener diode near a 12+V position at the back of the board.
                  Anyone
                  > have a schematic? I checked Herb Johnson's site, there is nothing
                  for this
                  > board listed. I would like to determine the exact type of diode so
                  I can
                  > replace it.
                  >
                  > What would cause a Zener diode to pop?
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  > Bill

                  Being on the digest version of the list, I'm a little slow to get
                  messages and being disorganized enough that it took a couple of days
                  to find my Wunderbuss manual, I'm a bit slow to respond...I think
                  Herb pretty much covered all the relevant points.

                  All I can add at this point is that the tantalum caps associated with
                  the voltage regulators on this board are listed as 1 ufd on the
                  schematic and called out as 20v parts in the parts list.

                  Certainly no reason not to go with a higher voltage replacement -
                  these guys tend to provide a common source of entertainment on many
                  S100 systems and also frequently self-destruct on Heathkit H89
                  systems. Yet another good reason to avoid leaning over a vintage
                  system when you first power it up after a long rest.

                  Always glad to pay my respects to Chairman Morrow,
                  Jack