Line printer

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 12 , May 5, 2007
      Does anyone headed for VCF East this year have a smallish line printer
      with a standard parallel interface? Something that will handle wide
      fanfold paper? Please reply off-list.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2007
        Mike,
        I had one, unsure what happened to it. I was selling it at the TCF, did
        not sell on Saturday. Unsure what happened to it on Sunday...anyone from
        TCF care to share the status of this printer? It is at InfoAge now?
        Bill

        Message 3 of 12 , May 6, 2007
          Mike and Bill,

          I have the Tandy printer at my house in CT. It would not fit in either Herb's or Bryan's car. The two of you can negotiate off list. It is a Tandy DWP-230 and comes with a Xeroxed copy of a manual for a DWP-410 which may be similar. The printer is in a box, but there is no packing material. Sold or not, if it's still here, I'll bring it to Info-Age when I come for VCF.

          It didn't occur to me to reply to Mike's message because I think of a line printer as something connected to a big computer that prints a line at a time in one kerchunk and thus prints a 60-line page in less than a second. While this one does print a line at a time, it does so one character after another. :-)

          Jim

          Message 4 of 12 , May 6, 2007
            On Sun, 6 May 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

            > I have the Tandy printer at my house in CT. It would not fit in either
            > Herb's or Bryan's car. The two of you can negotiate off list. It is a
            > Tandy DWP-230 and comes with a Xeroxed copy of a manual for a DWP-410
            > which may be similar. The printer is in a box, but there is no packing
            > material. Sold or not, if it's still here, I'll bring it to Info-Age
            > when I come for VCF.

            Actually, I already have a Xerox 1640 daisywheel printer, which uses
            the same Diablo Hytype II engine as the DWP-230. Mine self tests okay,
            and I just have to check out the serial interface (1200 baud, yuck).

            > It didn't occur to me to reply to Mike's message because I think of a
            > line printer as something connected to a big computer that prints a line
            > at a time in one kerchunk and thus prints a 60-line page in less than a
            > second.

            Believe it or not, that's what I'm looking for. :-) Something on the
            order of a small pedestal type Printronix or HP, what they call
            line-matrix printers.

            The Xerox 1640 will probably work for what I want, but it's going to be
            slow.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 12 , May 14, 2007
              I have two pieces of older Fore networking equipment available for the
              cost of shipping, or free delivery at VCF East. One is a Forerunner
              ES-3810 ethernet switch, with 3 ESM-24 modules, a NMM (Network Management
              Module) and a ATM-1/155MMSC module. I believe this to be working. The
              other is a Forerunner ASX-200WG ATM Switch, and I have no way of testing
              it.

              Let me know if you're interested in either one. I'm in State College,
              PA (16803).

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...