building new vintage hardware (was 680..)

    Message 1 of 21 , May 5, 2007
      <snip>

      I won't retire off selling add-ons for old machines, but I get a lot of neat stories from
      people about their old machines.  I also get a fair amount of vintage equipment offered
      to me since clearly I care about that older stuff.  It's fun.

      My boards are for the KIM-1, which was produced in fairly large quantities compared to
      some other systems.  I keep toying with the idea of building new S-100 cards since used
      ones on eBay go for so much and always carry no guarantee.  While not truly vintage, it
      is "vintage-like" because old components are used.  From the software perspective, it IS
      vintage... old CPUs that you've got to write a bootstrap for, etc.

      Bob

      There is nothing wrong with putting non-vintage hardware in a vintage machine IMHO.  From a testing perspective new parts can be the key to diagnosing vintage part problems.  You can compare and contrast the vintage part with the new part to troubleshoot.  When it's time for an exhibit, swap the vintage part back into the system.
      Message 2 of 21 , May 5, 2007
        Who's Mike?

        Message 3 of 21 , May 5, 2007
          oops, neural glitch

          that was supposed to be *Bob Applegate's *website

          Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > Who's Mike?

        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 21 , May 5, 2007
            Dan <ragooman@...> wrote :

            > oops, neural glitch
            >
            > that was supposed to be *Bob Applegate's *website

            No offense was taken, I assure you!

            Bob/Mike/whatever

            ___________________________________
            NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 21 , May 5, 2007
              I meant non-vintage as-in using more current parts, such as
              any of the 64Kx8 RAM chips out there. I'd never resort to
              2102s again! 2114s, maybe (1Kx4 bits). Another example is
              using a small CPLD instead of lots of discrete TTL. The
              CPLD is cheaper, more flexible, easier to debug, but definitely
              not a 1970s device.

              I don't know that the 680's expansion pins are, but you can
              probably add 64K of RAM with just a couple of parts now if
              you're willing to veer away from pure vintage. The software
              you run is still vintage, as is the base machine, and that's
              the important part from my viewpoint. My KIM-1s are all
              vintage, but I use newer parts to enhance them.

              Bob

              B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

              > <snip>
              >
              > I won't retire off selling add-ons for old machines, but I
              > get a lot of neat stories from
              > people about their old machines.  I also get a fair
              > amount of vintage equipment offered
              > to me since clearly I care about that older stuff.
              > It's fun.
              >
              > My boards are for the KIM-1, which was produced in fairly
              > large quantities compared to
              > some other systems.  I keep toying with the idea of
              > building new S-100 cards since used
              > ones on eBay go for so much and always carry no
              > guarantee.  While not truly vintage, it
              > is "vintage-like" because old components are
              > used.  From the software perspective, it IS
              > vintage... old CPUs that you've got to write a bootstrap
              > for, etc.
              >
              > Bob
              >
              > There is nothing wrong with putting non-vintage hardware in a vintage
              > machine IMHO.  From a testing perspective new parts can be the key
              > to diagnosing vintage part problems.  You can compare and contrast
              > the vintage part with the new part to troubleshoot.  When it's time
              > for an exhibit, swap the vintage part back into the system.

              ___________________________________
              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 21 , May 5, 2007
                Bob Applegate wrote:
                > I meant non-vintage as-in using more current parts, such as
                > any of the 64Kx8 RAM chips out there. I'd never resort to
                > 2102s again! 2114s, maybe (1Kx4 bits). Another example is

                Hey... I just used a few 2114's to repair a couple of C= 4040 drives I
                have. :)

                > using a small CPLD instead of lots of discrete TTL. The
                > CPLD is cheaper, more flexible, easier to debug, but definitely
                > not a 1970s device.

                There is quite a few people remaking vintage hardware using FPGA type
                devices like here: http://home.freeuk.com/fpgaarcade/

                Cheers,

                Bryan

                > I don't know that the 680's expansion pins are, but you can
                > probably add 64K of RAM with just a couple of parts now if
                > you're willing to veer away from pure vintage. The software
                > you run is still vintage, as is the base machine, and that's
                > the important part from my viewpoint. My KIM-1s are all
                > vintage, but I use newer parts to enhance them.
                >
                > Bob

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 21 , May 7, 2007
                  I started designing a S-100 layout this past weekend to make some memory
                  cards. I was going to try both, one with vintage components and one
                  using new components. Istill have to pick a reasonable PCB house to make
                  the cards. I found a couple of places that still sell the S-100 edge
                  connectors so I was going to look into making the extender card for the
                  Altair680(it's the same connector--different pinout)

                  =Dan

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 7, 2007
                    Dan,
                    Did you get your Altair 680 working?
                    Bill

                    > I started designing a S-100 layout this past weekend to make some memory
                    > cards. I was going to try both, one with vintage components and one
                    > using new components. Istill have to pick a reasonable PCB house to make
                    > the cards. I found a couple of places that still sell the S-100 edge
                    > connectors so I was going to look into making the extender card for the
                    > Altair680(it's the same connector--different pinout)
                    >
                    > =Dan
                    >
                    > [ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                    >

                    > Bryan Pope wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Bob Applegate wrote:
                    >> > I meant non-vintage as-in using more current parts, such as
                    >> > any of the 64Kx8 RAM chips out there. I'd never resort to
                    >> > 2102s again! 2114s, maybe (1Kx4 bits). Another example is
                    >> >
                    >> Hey... I just used a few 2114's to repair a couple of C= 4040 drives I
                    >> have. :)
                    >>
                    >> > using a small CPLD instead of lots of discrete TTL. The
                    >> > CPLD is cheaper, more flexible, easier to debug, but definitely
                    >> > not a 1970s device.
                    >> >

                    >> There is quite a few people remaking vintage hardware using FPGA type
                    >> devices like here: http://home.freeuk.com/fpgaarcade/
                    >> <http://home.freeuk.com/fpgaarcade/>
                    >>
                    >> Cheers,
                    >>
                    >> Bryan
                    >>
                    >> > I don't know that the 680's expansion pins are, but you can
                    >> > probably add 64K of RAM with just a couple of parts now if
                    >> > you're willing to veer away from pure vintage. The software
                    >> > you run is still vintage, as is the base machine, and that's
                    >> > the important part from my viewpoint. My KIM-1s are all
                    >> > vintage, but I use newer parts to enhance them.
                    >> >
                    >> > Bob

                    >> 10:34 AM
                    >>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    -END-
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 7, 2007
                      oh, I still have about 20 sockets left to replace, it's such an arduous
                      task. Something I do in between my other projects. I'm hoping that I'll
                      get it done once the S-100 boards I'm designing are built.
                      In the meantime, I'm going to fire-up my IMSAI, (figuratively speaking)
                      so I can get my S-100 stuff running and be ready to test the new memory
                      card designs.

                      =Dan

                      B Degnan wrote:

                      > Dan,
                      > Did you get your Altair 680 working?
                      > Bill

                    • Herb Johnson
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 8, 2007
                        David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

                        > I'm hoping to be able to emulate a Micropolis 1325 at
                        > a low enough level that it could support any
                        > host/controller platform (that can use that particular
                        > drive type/geometry etc). The drive emulation should
                        > be transparent to the point where any low level format
                        > can be overlaid on it by the controller or host.
                        >
                        > Doing an emulation of an MFM drive would be useful for
                        > a variety of reasons for hobbyists, not the least of
                        > which is the cost of replacement drives. The MTTF of
                        > the platters in these drives is 4 years so they are a
                        > dying breed; plus, emulation would make it possible to
                        > expose the low-level formatting used by the hardware
                        > vendor, something that there's not a great deal of
                        > documentation on so far as I can tell.
                        >
                        > Of course talking about it is easier than actually
                        > doing it...
                        >
                        > -Dave

                        There was a recent discussion of MFM "emulation" in comp.os.cpm, where
                        I participate. The discussion of "vintage" vs. "modern" design is also
                        of interest to me. Here's my comments.

                        In comp.os.cpm, it was noted that there WAS a MFM to IDE product, but
                        it waa a few thousand dollars. Seems to me that one reason it is that
                        high, is that it takes some bit of effort to support the variety of
                        potential uses for such a product. Those who really need an MFM
                        replacement, to keep production equipment going, will pay accordingly.

                        The drive issue as cast in comp.os.cpm was about replacing an MFM
                        drive in a S-100 system. It was suggested the owner use an IDE card of
                        some sort, and write a driver. In some number of cases, it's more
                        reasonable to replace the controller and adjust the software.

                        The point of S-100 systems with a standard bus, was that you COULD
                        replace and upgrade as needed. At least the hardware did not stop you
                        from doing so. That concept spawned a computer industry from 1976
                        through the 1980's. The IBM PC, to compete, HAD to offer 1) a bus and
                        2) clear means to add to that bus - because S-100 and other systems
                        set that standard. (In the minicomputer world, DEC set a similar
                        standard as did other manufacturers.)

                        In that light, there's been discussion here about building "new" S-100
                        cards with either "vintage" hardware or with "new" hardware. Clearly
                        an MFM to IDE device would be "new". It would require somewhat fast
                        logic: either a programmable logic device, or a "computer on a
                        board".

                        But an IDE interface for S-100 or any Z80? - dirt simple, the IDE
                        drive does all the work, just a few simple chips will do it (Google
                        "GIDE"). But most people get stuck at the point where they have to
                        write software to support that new device. (I should know, I first
                        offered the GIDE interface in the USA, and I've watched its use.)

                        Note to "purists" that say a vintage system has to have "original",
                        vintage cards. Few REAL S-100 systems were "original", or stayed
                        original. People upgraded as hardware improved, as software changed.

                        The point? As I see it, if you are "into" old computers to show them
                        off in original condiiton, then all this talk about "emulators" is
                        moot. Pay $$$ for the last unused (or rebuilt) MFM hard drive and run
                        it only on exhibit day. If you are in it because you can "dig into"
                        it, then adapt some new hardware to old and start writing some CODE.
                        If you are in it for "use" only, then you depend on others to keep
                        providing working hardware: that, and your budget.

                        Herb Johnson

                        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 8, 2007
                          Herb,

                          Words of wisdom! As you note there is more than one way to enjoy 'vintage' computing.

                          Jim

> [...]

                          "GIDE"). But most people get stuck at the point where they have to
                          write software to support that new device. (I should know, I first
                          offered the GIDE interface in the USA, and I've watched its use.)

                          Note to "purists" that say a vintage system has to have "original",
                          vintage cards. Few REAL S-100 systems were "original", or stayed
                          original. People upgraded as hardware improved, as software changed.

                          The point? As I see it, if you are "into" old computers to show them
                          off in original condiiton, then all this talk about "emulators" is
                          moot. Pay $$$ for the last unused (or rebuilt) MFM hard drive and run
                          it only on exhibit day. If you are in it because you can "dig into"
                          it, then adapt some new hardware to old and start writing some CODE.
                          If you are in it for "use" only, then you depend on others to keep
                          providing working hardware: that, and your budget.

                        • David Comley
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 9, 2007
                            Well said, Herb.

                            Having met so many MARCH folks at TCF, I started to
                            think again about my own take on the hobby. I'd
                            profile my own collection and activities as being
                            discovery - or re-discovery - related, rather than
                            restoration/refurbishment to original condition. Most
                            of the things I've acquired are missing covers or have
                            dings and dents, and nothing could be said to be 'New
                            in Box' or even close. Instead, I spend a lot of time
                            trying to understand how things were connected or
                            configured together (and even what they were used
                            for). That often results in repair work to return a
                            system to a bootable state (or in a long wait while I
                            scour hamfests and swap meets to find a missing board,
                            cable or disk).

                            It's a great hobby, isn't it: each of us derives
                            satisfaction from it from pursuing a different aspect
                            or perspective - and hopefully we contribute to a
                            broader pool of knowledge by doing so. One can only
                            hope that we capture that knowledge somehow for
                            posterity and the next generation of enthusiasts.

                            -Dave