Re: [midatlanticretro] FW: Big pile of VAX documentation to be disposed

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2007
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Can someone rescue this documentation?

      I'd love to get it, but it's enough of a distance that I'd probably need
      help. Could anyone give me a hand?

      Peace... Sridhar

      > There is a large pile of VAX and other documentation waiting for
      > disposal on the 7th floor of Disque Hall at Drexel University in
      > Philadelphia.
      > Disque hall is located on the former 32nd street between market and
      > chestnut streets, its the tall(~10 floors)) brick building.
      > Pretty much everything paper, and a working Phaser 370? printer (missing
      >
      > its paper tray and missing the centronics->microcentronics adapter but
      > otherwise working) is free for the taking.
      > This documentation originally went along with the VAX machine which
      > someone from the list rescued from there about 2 years ago when it was
      > being disposed.
      >
      > Jonathan Gevaryahu
      > jzg22@...
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • ysgdhio
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2007
        > Can someone rescue this documentation?

        Do we really NEED it?

        I mean, seriously, we haven't catalogued the stuff we have now,
        never mind dragging in any more stuff.

        Andy
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2007
          I know, but I hate to see good local stuff go.

          Many people ask me about cataloging. I'm all for it. But the VCF and
          our physical home are higher priorities, and our people / time / money
          are very limited.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2007
            wrote:
            > our people / time / money are very limited.

            If that's true, we should be much more selective about what we pick up.

            Just because something is being offered for free,
            it still ends up costing us people, time or money.

            Andy
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2007
              ysgdhio wrote:
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
              > wrote:
              >> our people / time / money are very limited.
              >
              > If that's true, we should be much more selective about what we pick up.
              >
              > Just because something is being offered for free,
              > it still ends up costing us people, time or money.

              Except that a grey wall is actually a pretty important thing to have.

              Peace... Sridhar
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2007
                Andy,

                I hear what you are saying but documentation is the key to making things work and is often much harder to find than the hardware. As a museum we cannot have too much documentation. Cataloging will come in time. In the meantime I agree with Evan that first we need a home for our museum and then some exhibits would be nice.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 8 , May 5, 2007

                  The good news is that starting this summer, building #9032 sections B & C – MARCH’s area is in C – will become InfoAge-wide projects, not just individual club projects.  So we’ll have lots of help.