FW: Big pile of VAX documentation to be disposed

    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2007
      Can someone rescue this documentation?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jonathan Gevaryahu [mailto:jzg22@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:07 PM
      To: cctech@...
      Subject: Big pile of VAX documentation to be disposed

      There is a large pile of VAX and other documentation waiting for
      disposal on the 7th floor of Disque Hall at Drexel University in
      Philadelphia.
      Disque hall is located on the former 32nd street between market and
      chestnut streets, its the tall(~10 floors)) brick building.
      Pretty much everything paper, and a working Phaser 370? printer (missing

      its paper tray and missing the centronics->microcentronics adapter but
      otherwise working) is free for the taking.
      This documentation originally went along with the VAX machine which
      someone from the list rescued from there about 2 years ago when it was
      being disposed.

      Jonathan Gevaryahu
      jzg22@...
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2007
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Can someone rescue this documentation?

        I'd love to get it, but it's enough of a distance that I'd probably need
        help. Could anyone give me a hand?

        Peace... Sridhar

        > There is a large pile of VAX and other documentation waiting for
        > disposal on the 7th floor of Disque Hall at Drexel University in
        > Philadelphia.
        > Disque hall is located on the former 32nd street between market and
        > chestnut streets, its the tall(~10 floors)) brick building.
        > Pretty much everything paper, and a working Phaser 370? printer (missing
        >
        > its paper tray and missing the centronics->microcentronics adapter but
        > otherwise working) is free for the taking.
        > This documentation originally went along with the VAX machine which
        > someone from the list rescued from there about 2 years ago when it was
        > being disposed.
        >
        > Jonathan Gevaryahu
        > jzg22@...
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2007
          > Can someone rescue this documentation?

          Do we really NEED it?

          I mean, seriously, we haven't catalogued the stuff we have now,
          never mind dragging in any more stuff.

          Andy
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2007
            I know, but I hate to see good local stuff go.

            Many people ask me about cataloging. I'm all for it. But the VCF and
            our physical home are higher priorities, and our people / time / money
            are very limited.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2007
              wrote:
              > our people / time / money are very limited.

              If that's true, we should be much more selective about what we pick up.

              Just because something is being offered for free,
              it still ends up costing us people, time or money.

              Andy
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2007
                ysgdhio wrote:
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                > wrote:
                >> our people / time / money are very limited.
                >
                > If that's true, we should be much more selective about what we pick up.
                >
                > Just because something is being offered for free,
                > it still ends up costing us people, time or money.

                Except that a grey wall is actually a pretty important thing to have.

                Peace... Sridhar
                Message 7 of 8 , May 5, 2007
                  Andy,

                  I hear what you are saying but documentation is the key to making things work and is often much harder to find than the hardware. As a museum we cannot have too much documentation. Cataloging will come in time. In the meantime I agree with Evan that first we need a home for our museum and then some exhibits would be nice.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5, 2007

                    The good news is that starting this summer, building #9032 sections B & C – MARCH’s area is in C – will become InfoAge-wide projects, not just individual club projects.  So we’ll have lots of help.