Re: [midatlanticretro] Designing Vintage Hardware (was Altair 680 Basic - loading without papertape)

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2007
      > Dan, you'd mentioned a source for low-cost Atmel
      > microcontroller boards last weekend. Could you provide
      > the name of the supplier ?

      I didn't see the beginning of this thread but had noticed this one
      recently which looked nice and was thinking of using to upgrade my 8
      controller when I retire the old machine which controls it now.

      http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch?mpart=ATNGW100
      http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4102

      If you want HW debugging you do need the more expensive ICE but I think can
      do printf's type debugging. Would need to check if you reflash with a bad
      load it leave enough loader around to reflash.
      http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dksus.dll?Criteria?Ref=7383&Site=US&Cat=35455746

      I used ATMEGA at work several years ago which had cheap boards
      available. We used the STK300 until our custom board was in. It is
      available from http://www.kanda.com/index.php3?cs=1& We used a
      commercial compiler but a gcc port is available,
      I just used printf's for debugging and jtag programmer for reflashing, not
      sure what the ICE they are including now does.
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2007
        Dave,

        MFM Emulation ?
        That project sounds interesting, for which machine is it ?

        Here's the one place I mentioned (both links points to their Atmel products)
        http://microcontrollershop.com/default.php?cPath=110_159
        http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?cPath=110_58&products_id=812

        =Dan

        David Comley wrote:

        > --- Dan <ragooman@... <mailto:ragooman%40comcast.net>> wrote:
        > >
        > > I always wondered if there was any need for
        > > designing vintage hardware.
        >
        > I've had several design needs for things over the
        > years, the most recent being for MFM disk emulation
        > running over IDE (subject of a recent thread here or
        > on cctalk).
        >
        > Dan, you'd mentioned a source for low-cost Atmel
        > microcontroller boards last weekend. Could you provide
        > the name of the supplier ? I really need to know if
        > they have a low-cost development board. The stock
        > development system runs over $1000 which is a little
        > steep.
        >
        > -Dave

      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2007
          --- Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:
          > MFM Emulation ?
          > That project sounds interesting, for which machine
          > is it ?

          Well, pretty much any machine I think, although I'm
          targetting DEC hardware (VAXen and Professional 350
          systems) initially where an RD5X drive would be
          expected.

          I'm hoping to be able to emulate a Micropolis 1325 at
          a low enough level that it could support any
          host/controller platform (that can use that particular
          drive type/geometry etc). The drive emulation should
          be transparent to the point where any low level format
          can be overlaid on it by the controller or host.

          Doing an emulation of an MFM drive would be useful for
          a variety of reasons for hobbyists, not the least of
          which is the cost of replacement drives. The MTTF of
          the platters in these drives is 4 years so they are a
          dying breed; plus, emulation would make it possible to
          expose the low-level formatting used by the hardware
          vendor, something that there's not a great deal of
          documentation on so far as I can tell.

          Of course talking about it is easier than actually
          doing it...

          -Dave
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2007
            Mike,

            I like the stuff on your website. I'm thinking more about this too. I
            just don't know if I can bring myself again to wiring 2102's in a row
            just to make 4KB of memory. It's real easy to add 64KB of memory on one
            S-100 card. It's not exactly using vintage components, but being that
            it's within the confines of a vintage form factor(S-100) and machines,
            maybe that doesn't tarnish the retro factor. I see there's still some
            activity on the vintage-computer.com forum about making S-100 boards.

            =Dan.

            Message 5 of 21 , May 5, 2007
              I can't remember if I replied to this message. No he has not finished.

              Message 6 of 21 , May 5, 2007
                <snip>

                I won't retire off selling add-ons for old machines, but I get a lot of neat stories from
                people about their old machines.  I also get a fair amount of vintage equipment offered
                to me since clearly I care about that older stuff.  It's fun.

                My boards are for the KIM-1, which was produced in fairly large quantities compared to
                some other systems.  I keep toying with the idea of building new S-100 cards since used
                ones on eBay go for so much and always carry no guarantee.  While not truly vintage, it
                is "vintage-like" because old components are used.  From the software perspective, it IS
                vintage... old CPUs that you've got to write a bootstrap for, etc.

                Bob

                There is nothing wrong with putting non-vintage hardware in a vintage machine IMHO.  From a testing perspective new parts can be the key to diagnosing vintage part problems.  You can compare and contrast the vintage part with the new part to troubleshoot.  When it's time for an exhibit, swap the vintage part back into the system.
                Message 7 of 21 , May 5, 2007
                  Who's Mike?

                  Bob Applegate wrote:

                  > [snip]
                  > I keep toying with the idea of building new S-100 cards since used
                  > ones on eBay go for so much and always carry no guarantee. While not
                  > truly vintage, it
                  > is "vintage-like" because old components are used. From the software
                  > perspective, it IS
                  > vintage... old CPUs that you've got to write a bootstrap for, etc.
                  >
                  > Bob

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 5, 2007
                    oops, neural glitch

                    that was supposed to be *Bob Applegate's *website

                    Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > Who's Mike?

                  • Bob Applegate
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 5, 2007
                      Dan <ragooman@...> wrote :

                      > oops, neural glitch
                      >
                      > that was supposed to be *Bob Applegate's *website

                      No offense was taken, I assure you!

                      Bob/Mike/whatever

                      ___________________________________
                      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                    • Bob Applegate
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 5, 2007
                        I meant non-vintage as-in using more current parts, such as
                        any of the 64Kx8 RAM chips out there. I'd never resort to
                        2102s again! 2114s, maybe (1Kx4 bits). Another example is
                        using a small CPLD instead of lots of discrete TTL. The
                        CPLD is cheaper, more flexible, easier to debug, but definitely
                        not a 1970s device.

                        I don't know that the 680's expansion pins are, but you can
                        probably add 64K of RAM with just a couple of parts now if
                        you're willing to veer away from pure vintage. The software
                        you run is still vintage, as is the base machine, and that's
                        the important part from my viewpoint. My KIM-1s are all
                        vintage, but I use newer parts to enhance them.

                        Bob

                        B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

                        > <snip>
                        >
                        > I won't retire off selling add-ons for old machines, but I
                        > get a lot of neat stories from
                        > people about their old machines.  I also get a fair
                        > amount of vintage equipment offered
                        > to me since clearly I care about that older stuff.
                        > It's fun.
                        >
                        > My boards are for the KIM-1, which was produced in fairly
                        > large quantities compared to
                        > some other systems.  I keep toying with the idea of
                        > building new S-100 cards since used
                        > ones on eBay go for so much and always carry no
                        > guarantee.  While not truly vintage, it
                        > is "vintage-like" because old components are
                        > used.  From the software perspective, it IS
                        > vintage... old CPUs that you've got to write a bootstrap
                        > for, etc.
                        >
                        > Bob
                        >
                        > There is nothing wrong with putting non-vintage hardware in a vintage
                        > machine IMHO.  From a testing perspective new parts can be the key
                        > to diagnosing vintage part problems.  You can compare and contrast
                        > the vintage part with the new part to troubleshoot.  When it's time
                        > for an exhibit, swap the vintage part back into the system.

                        ___________________________________
                        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                      • Bryan Pope
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5, 2007
                          Bob Applegate wrote:
                          > I meant non-vintage as-in using more current parts, such as
                          > any of the 64Kx8 RAM chips out there. I'd never resort to
                          > 2102s again! 2114s, maybe (1Kx4 bits). Another example is

                          Hey... I just used a few 2114's to repair a couple of C= 4040 drives I
                          have. :)

                          > using a small CPLD instead of lots of discrete TTL. The
                          > CPLD is cheaper, more flexible, easier to debug, but definitely
                          > not a 1970s device.

                          There is quite a few people remaking vintage hardware using FPGA type
                          devices like here: http://home.freeuk.com/fpgaarcade/

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan

                          > I don't know that the 680's expansion pins are, but you can
                          > probably add 64K of RAM with just a couple of parts now if
                          > you're willing to veer away from pure vintage. The software
                          > you run is still vintage, as is the base machine, and that's
                          > the important part from my viewpoint. My KIM-1s are all
                          > vintage, but I use newer parts to enhance them.
                          >
                          > Bob

                        • Dan
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 7, 2007
                            I started designing a S-100 layout this past weekend to make some memory
                            cards. I was going to try both, one with vintage components and one
                            using new components. Istill have to pick a reasonable PCB house to make
                            the cards. I found a couple of places that still sell the S-100 edge
                            connectors so I was going to look into making the extender card for the
                            Altair680(it's the same connector--different pinout)

                            =Dan

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 7, 2007
                              Dan,
                              Did you get your Altair 680 working?
                              Bill

                              > I started designing a S-100 layout this past weekend to make some memory
                              > cards. I was going to try both, one with vintage components and one
                              > using new components. Istill have to pick a reasonable PCB house to make
                              > the cards. I found a couple of places that still sell the S-100 edge
                              > connectors so I was going to look into making the extender card for the
                              > Altair680(it's the same connector--different pinout)
                              >
                              > =Dan
                              >
                              > [ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                              >

                              > Bryan Pope wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Bob Applegate wrote:
                              >> > I meant non-vintage as-in using more current parts, such as
                              >> > any of the 64Kx8 RAM chips out there. I'd never resort to
                              >> > 2102s again! 2114s, maybe (1Kx4 bits). Another example is
                              >> >
                              >> Hey... I just used a few 2114's to repair a couple of C= 4040 drives I
                              >> have. :)
                              >>
                              >> > using a small CPLD instead of lots of discrete TTL. The
                              >> > CPLD is cheaper, more flexible, easier to debug, but definitely
                              >> > not a 1970s device.
                              >> >

                              >> There is quite a few people remaking vintage hardware using FPGA type
                              >> devices like here: http://home.freeuk.com/fpgaarcade/
                              >> <http://home.freeuk.com/fpgaarcade/>
                              >>
                              >> Cheers,
                              >>
                              >> Bryan
                              >>
                              >> > I don't know that the 680's expansion pins are, but you can
                              >> > probably add 64K of RAM with just a couple of parts now if
                              >> > you're willing to veer away from pure vintage. The software
                              >> > you run is still vintage, as is the base machine, and that's
                              >> > the important part from my viewpoint. My KIM-1s are all
                              >> > vintage, but I use newer parts to enhance them.
                              >> >
                              >> > Bob

                              >> 10:34 AM
                              >>

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              -END-
                            • Dan
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 7, 2007
                                oh, I still have about 20 sockets left to replace, it's such an arduous
                                task. Something I do in between my other projects. I'm hoping that I'll
                                get it done once the S-100 boards I'm designing are built.
                                In the meantime, I'm going to fire-up my IMSAI, (figuratively speaking)
                                so I can get my S-100 stuff running and be ready to test the new memory
                                card designs.

                                =Dan

                                B Degnan wrote:

                                > Dan,
                                > Did you get your Altair 680 working?
                                > Bill

                              • Herb Johnson
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 8, 2007
                                  David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

                                  > I'm hoping to be able to emulate a Micropolis 1325 at
                                  > a low enough level that it could support any
                                  > host/controller platform (that can use that particular
                                  > drive type/geometry etc). The drive emulation should
                                  > be transparent to the point where any low level format
                                  > can be overlaid on it by the controller or host.
                                  >
                                  > Doing an emulation of an MFM drive would be useful for
                                  > a variety of reasons for hobbyists, not the least of
                                  > which is the cost of replacement drives. The MTTF of
                                  > the platters in these drives is 4 years so they are a
                                  > dying breed; plus, emulation would make it possible to
                                  > expose the low-level formatting used by the hardware
                                  > vendor, something that there's not a great deal of
                                  > documentation on so far as I can tell.
                                  >
                                  > Of course talking about it is easier than actually
                                  > doing it...
                                  >
                                  > -Dave

                                  There was a recent discussion of MFM "emulation" in comp.os.cpm, where
                                  I participate. The discussion of "vintage" vs. "modern" design is also
                                  of interest to me. Here's my comments.

                                  In comp.os.cpm, it was noted that there WAS a MFM to IDE product, but
                                  it waa a few thousand dollars. Seems to me that one reason it is that
                                  high, is that it takes some bit of effort to support the variety of
                                  potential uses for such a product. Those who really need an MFM
                                  replacement, to keep production equipment going, will pay accordingly.

                                  The drive issue as cast in comp.os.cpm was about replacing an MFM
                                  drive in a S-100 system. It was suggested the owner use an IDE card of
                                  some sort, and write a driver. In some number of cases, it's more
                                  reasonable to replace the controller and adjust the software.

                                  The point of S-100 systems with a standard bus, was that you COULD
                                  replace and upgrade as needed. At least the hardware did not stop you
                                  from doing so. That concept spawned a computer industry from 1976
                                  through the 1980's. The IBM PC, to compete, HAD to offer 1) a bus and
                                  2) clear means to add to that bus - because S-100 and other systems
                                  set that standard. (In the minicomputer world, DEC set a similar
                                  standard as did other manufacturers.)

                                  In that light, there's been discussion here about building "new" S-100
                                  cards with either "vintage" hardware or with "new" hardware. Clearly
                                  an MFM to IDE device would be "new". It would require somewhat fast
                                  logic: either a programmable logic device, or a "computer on a
                                  board".

                                  But an IDE interface for S-100 or any Z80? - dirt simple, the IDE
                                  drive does all the work, just a few simple chips will do it (Google
                                  "GIDE"). But most people get stuck at the point where they have to
                                  write software to support that new device. (I should know, I first
                                  offered the GIDE interface in the USA, and I've watched its use.)

                                  Note to "purists" that say a vintage system has to have "original",
                                  vintage cards. Few REAL S-100 systems were "original", or stayed
                                  original. People upgraded as hardware improved, as software changed.

                                  The point? As I see it, if you are "into" old computers to show them
                                  off in original condiiton, then all this talk about "emulators" is
                                  moot. Pay $$$ for the last unused (or rebuilt) MFM hard drive and run
                                  it only on exhibit day. If you are in it because you can "dig into"
                                  it, then adapt some new hardware to old and start writing some CODE.
                                  If you are in it for "use" only, then you depend on others to keep
                                  providing working hardware: that, and your budget.

                                  Herb Johnson

                                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 8, 2007
                                    Herb,

                                    Words of wisdom! As you note there is more than one way to enjoy 'vintage' computing.

                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 9, 2007
                                      Well said, Herb.

                                      Having met so many MARCH folks at TCF, I started to
                                      think again about my own take on the hobby. I'd
                                      profile my own collection and activities as being
                                      discovery - or re-discovery - related, rather than
                                      restoration/refurbishment to original condition. Most
                                      of the things I've acquired are missing covers or have
                                      dings and dents, and nothing could be said to be 'New
                                      in Box' or even close. Instead, I spend a lot of time
                                      trying to understand how things were connected or
                                      configured together (and even what they were used
                                      for). That often results in repair work to return a
                                      system to a bootable state (or in a long wait while I
                                      scour hamfests and swap meets to find a missing board,
                                      cable or disk).

                                      It's a great hobby, isn't it: each of us derives
                                      satisfaction from it from pursuing a different aspect
                                      or perspective - and hopefully we contribute to a
                                      broader pool of knowledge by doing so. One can only
                                      hope that we capture that knowledge somehow for
                                      posterity and the next generation of enthusiasts.

                                      -Dave