Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair 680 Basic - loading without papertape

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 7:11 PM
      Here's some info about patching the Basic for the SWTPC
      http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Altair/Altair_Basic.htm
      I like to getting it running on mine too.
      I wonder if its the same as in the Byte issue ? ( I dont have that issue)

      =Dan

      B. Degnan wrote:

      > Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will try
      > to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
      > #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
      > bd
      >
      > At 06:24 PM 5/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:
      >
      > >ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
      > >Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
      > >And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a
      > program.
      > >You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
      > >upgrade.
      > >The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
      > >building this.
      > >I think it was 64KB on one card.
      > >http://www.altairkit.com/ <http://www.altairkit.com/>
      > >
      > >FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
      > >http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39
      > <http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39>
      > >
      > >I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.
      > >
      > >=Dan
      > >
      > >[ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/
      > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/> ]

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3 9:16 AM
        Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        >
        > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
        > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
        > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
        > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
        > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
        > instructions and this is are on my webpage
        > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
        > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
        >
        > =Dan

        Just a small point of information. The "text file" is actually a hex
        file dump, with some embedded comment lines. The format is known as
        "Motorola S-record format", similar to Intel's hex record format for
        their 8080 and later processors. Bytes are represented as two hex
        characters. A hex record in either format has some address
        information, several bytes of data, and a checksum byte. Hex format is
        obviously convenient for either "text" files or for paper tapes; it's
        human-readable as well. Hex is a little more efficient than octal, and
        a LOT more convenient than binary in this context. intel, and
        Motorola, have standards for these hex formats. If you have to change
        a byte here and there, it's good to have the standard document around.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA