Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair 680 Basic - loading without papertape

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Here's some info about patching the Basic for the SWTPC
      http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Altair/Altair_Basic.htm
      I like to getting it running on mine too.
      I wonder if its the same as in the Byte issue ? ( I dont have that issue)

      =Dan

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        >Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will
        >try
        >to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
        >#8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
        >bd

        >Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...
        >
        >Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.
        >
        ><snip>

        Good, maybe he'll have for sale the Altair 680 memory card he's working on.
        Bill
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2007
          Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
          > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
          > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
          > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
          > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
          > instructions and this is are on my webpage
          > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
          > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
          >
          > =Dan

          Just a small point of information. The "text file" is actually a hex
          file dump, with some embedded comment lines. The format is known as
          "Motorola S-record format", similar to Intel's hex record format for
          their 8080 and later processors. Bytes are represented as two hex
          characters. A hex record in either format has some address
          information, several bytes of data, and a checksum byte. Hex format is
          obviously convenient for either "text" files or for paper tapes; it's
          human-readable as well. Hex is a little more efficient than octal, and
          a LOT more convenient than binary in this context. intel, and
          Motorola, have standards for these hex formats. If you have to change
          a byte here and there, it's good to have the standard document around.

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA