RE: [midatlanticretro] Altair 680 Basic - loading without papertape

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...

      Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.

      #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
      bd

      At 06:24 PM 5/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:

      >ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
      >Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
      >And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a
      program.
      >You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
      >upgrade.
      >The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
      >building this.
      >I think it was 64KB on one card.
      >http://www.altairkit.com/
      >
      >FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
      >http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39
      >
      >I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.
      >
      >=Dan
      >
      >[ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        Here's some info about patching the Basic for the SWTPC
        http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Altair/Altair_Basic.htm
        I like to getting it running on mine too.
        I wonder if its the same as in the Byte issue ? ( I dont have that issue)

        =Dan

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          >Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will
          >try
          >to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
          >#8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
          >bd

          >Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...
          >
          >Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.
          >
          ><snip>

          Good, maybe he'll have for sale the Altair 680 memory card he's working on.
          Bill
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2007
            Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

            > Bill,
            >
            > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
            > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
            > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
            > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
            > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
            > instructions and this is are on my webpage
            > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
            > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
            >
            > =Dan

            Just a small point of information. The "text file" is actually a hex
            file dump, with some embedded comment lines. The format is known as
            "Motorola S-record format", similar to Intel's hex record format for
            their 8080 and later processors. Bytes are represented as two hex
            characters. A hex record in either format has some address
            information, several bytes of data, and a checksum byte. Hex format is
            obviously convenient for either "text" files or for paper tapes; it's
            human-readable as well. Hex is a little more efficient than octal, and
            a LOT more convenient than binary in this context. intel, and
            Motorola, have standards for these hex formats. If you have to change
            a byte here and there, it's good to have the standard document around.

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA