Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair 680 Basic - loading without papertape

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will try
      to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
      #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
      bd

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...

        Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.

        #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
        bd

        At 06:24 PM 5/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:

        >ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
        >Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
        >And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a
        program.
        >You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
        >upgrade.
        >The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
        >building this.
        >I think it was 64KB on one card.
        >http://www.altairkit.com/
        >
        >FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
        >http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39
        >
        >I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.
        >
        >=Dan
        >
        >[ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          Here's some info about patching the Basic for the SWTPC
          http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Altair/Altair_Basic.htm
          I like to getting it running on mine too.
          I wonder if its the same as in the Byte issue ? ( I dont have that issue)

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            >Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will
            >try
            >to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
            >#8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
            >bd

            >Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...
            >
            >Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.
            >
            ><snip>

            Good, maybe he'll have for sale the Altair 680 memory card he's working on.
            Bill
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2007
              Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
              > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
              > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
              > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
              > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
              > instructions and this is are on my webpage
              > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
              > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
              >
              > =Dan

              Just a small point of information. The "text file" is actually a hex
              file dump, with some embedded comment lines. The format is known as
              "Motorola S-record format", similar to Intel's hex record format for
              their 8080 and later processors. Bytes are represented as two hex
              characters. A hex record in either format has some address
              information, several bytes of data, and a checksum byte. Hex format is
              obviously convenient for either "text" files or for paper tapes; it's
              human-readable as well. Hex is a little more efficient than octal, and
              a LOT more convenient than binary in this context. intel, and
              Motorola, have standards for these hex formats. If you have to change
              a byte here and there, it's good to have the standard document around.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA