Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair 680 Basic - loading without papertape

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
      Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
      And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a program.
      You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
      upgrade.
      The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
      building this.
      I think it was 64KB on one card.
      http://www.altairkit.com/

      FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
      http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39

      I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.

      =Dan

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will try
        to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
        #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
        bd

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...

          Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.

          #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
          bd

          At 06:24 PM 5/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:

          >ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
          >Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
          >And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a
          program.
          >You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
          >upgrade.
          >The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
          >building this.
          >I think it was 64KB on one card.
          >http://www.altairkit.com/
          >
          >FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
          >http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39
          >
          >I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.
          >
          >=Dan
          >
          >[ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Here's some info about patching the Basic for the SWTPC
            http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Altair/Altair_Basic.htm
            I like to getting it running on mine too.
            I wonder if its the same as in the Byte issue ? ( I dont have that issue)

            =Dan

            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              >Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will
              >try
              >to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
              >#8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
              >bd

              >Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...
              >
              >Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.
              >
              ><snip>

              Good, maybe he'll have for sale the Altair 680 memory card he's working on.
              Bill
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

                > Bill,
                >
                > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
                > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
                > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
                > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
                > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
                > instructions and this is are on my webpage
                > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
                > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
                >
                > =Dan

                Just a small point of information. The "text file" is actually a hex
                file dump, with some embedded comment lines. The format is known as
                "Motorola S-record format", similar to Intel's hex record format for
                their 8080 and later processors. Bytes are represented as two hex
                characters. A hex record in either format has some address
                information, several bytes of data, and a checksum byte. Hex format is
                obviously convenient for either "text" files or for paper tapes; it's
                human-readable as well. Hex is a little more efficient than octal, and
                a LOT more convenient than binary in this context. intel, and
                Motorola, have standards for these hex formats. If you have to change
                a byte here and there, it's good to have the standard document around.

                Herb Johnson

                Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA