Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair 680 Basic - loading without papertape

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Dan...Oh boy. I will try it tonight if I can.
      Thanks.
      Bill

      > Bill,
      >
      > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
      > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
      > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
      > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
      > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
      > instructions and this is are on my webpage
      > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
      > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
      >
      > =Dan

      > >Is there any writeup anywhere on using hyperterm as a papertape reader
      > >-- I haven't seen that done before. Is there any hardware modifications
      > >needed ? What steps do I follow to get the Monitor to recognize this ?
      >
      > You type "L" at the monitor prompt to load from paper tape. Then you
      > select "Send a Text file" from the transfer menu and select a paper tape
      > image. I'll e-mail you two paper tape images.
      >
      > Grant

      -END-
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        Dan,
        Do I need the extra memory, or will the bank I have now be OK to load BASIC?
        Bill

        > Bill,
        >
        > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
        > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
        > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
        > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
        > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
        > instructions and this is are on my webpage
        > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
        > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
        >
        > =Dan

        > >Is there any writeup anywhere on using hyperterm as a papertape reader
        > >-- I haven't seen that done before. Is there any hardware modifications
        > >needed ? What steps do I follow to get the Monitor to recognize this ?
        >
        > You type "L" at the monitor prompt to load from paper tape. Then you
        > select "Send a Text file" from the transfer menu and select a paper tape
        > image. I'll e-mail you two paper tape images.
        >
        > Grant

        -END-
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
          Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
          And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a program.
          You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
          upgrade.
          The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
          building this.
          I think it was 64KB on one card.
          http://www.altairkit.com/

          FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
          http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39

          I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will try
            to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
            #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
            bd

            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...

              Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.

              #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
              bd

              At 06:24 PM 5/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:

              >ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
              >Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
              >And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a
              program.
              >You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
              >upgrade.
              >The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
              >building this.
              >I think it was 64KB on one card.
              >http://www.altairkit.com/
              >
              >FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
              >http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39
              >
              >I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.
              >
              >=Dan
              >
              >[ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                Here's some info about patching the Basic for the SWTPC
                http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Altair/Altair_Basic.htm
                I like to getting it running on mine too.
                I wonder if its the same as in the Byte issue ? ( I dont have that issue)

                =Dan

                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                  >Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will
                  >try
                  >to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
                  >#8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
                  >bd

                  >Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...
                  >
                  >Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.
                  >
                  ><snip>

                  Good, maybe he'll have for sale the Altair 680 memory card he's working on.
                  Bill
                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                    Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

                    > Bill,
                    >
                    > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
                    > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
                    > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
                    > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
                    > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
                    > instructions and this is are on my webpage
                    > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
                    > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
                    >
                    > =Dan

                    Just a small point of information. The "text file" is actually a hex
                    file dump, with some embedded comment lines. The format is known as
                    "Motorola S-record format", similar to Intel's hex record format for
                    their 8080 and later processors. Bytes are represented as two hex
                    characters. A hex record in either format has some address
                    information, several bytes of data, and a checksum byte. Hex format is
                    obviously convenient for either "text" files or for paper tapes; it's
                    human-readable as well. Hex is a little more efficient than octal, and
                    a LOT more convenient than binary in this context. intel, and
                    Motorola, have standards for these hex formats. If you have to change
                    a byte here and there, it's good to have the standard document around.

                    Herb Johnson

                    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA