Altair 680 Basic - loading without papertape

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Bill,

      After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
      the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
      posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
      Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
      papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
      instructions and this is are on my webpage
      <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
      done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.

      =Dan

      >Is there any writeup anywhere on using hyperterm as a papertape reader
      >-- I haven't seen that done before. Is there any hardware modifications
      >needed ? What steps do I follow to get the Monitor to recognize this ?

      You type "L" at the monitor prompt to load from paper tape. Then you
      select "Send a Text file" from the transfer menu and select a paper tape
      image. I'll e-mail you two paper tape images.

      Grant
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        Dan...Oh boy. I will try it tonight if I can.
        Thanks.
        Bill

        > Bill,
        >
        > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
        > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
        > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
        > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
        > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
        > instructions and this is are on my webpage
        > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
        > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
        >
        > =Dan

        > >Is there any writeup anywhere on using hyperterm as a papertape reader
        > >-- I haven't seen that done before. Is there any hardware modifications
        > >needed ? What steps do I follow to get the Monitor to recognize this ?
        >
        > You type "L" at the monitor prompt to load from paper tape. Then you
        > select "Send a Text file" from the transfer menu and select a paper tape
        > image. I'll e-mail you two paper tape images.
        >
        > Grant

        -END-
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          Dan,
          Do I need the extra memory, or will the bank I have now be OK to load BASIC?
          Bill

          > Bill,
          >
          > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
          > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
          > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
          > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
          > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
          > instructions and this is are on my webpage
          > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
          > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
          >
          > =Dan

          > >Is there any writeup anywhere on using hyperterm as a papertape reader
          > >-- I haven't seen that done before. Is there any hardware modifications
          > >needed ? What steps do I follow to get the Monitor to recognize this ?
          >
          > You type "L" at the monitor prompt to load from paper tape. Then you
          > select "Send a Text file" from the transfer menu and select a paper tape
          > image. I'll e-mail you two paper tape images.
          >
          > Grant

          -END-
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
            Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
            And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a program.
            You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
            upgrade.
            The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
            building this.
            I think it was 64KB on one card.
            http://www.altairkit.com/

            FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
            http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39

            I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.

            =Dan

            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will try
              to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
              #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
              bd

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...

                Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.

                #8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
                bd

                At 06:24 PM 5/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:

                >ahh, yes, you still need the extra memory.
                >Altair Basic is 8Kbytes for either the 8800 or the 680 models.
                >And then there's only a few bytes left onboard to actually write a
                program.
                >You might want to contact Grant at his website to get the larger memory
                >upgrade.
                >The last time (Jan) I talked to him he was still in the middle of
                >building this.
                >I think it was 64KB on one card.
                >http://www.altairkit.com/
                >
                >FYI, alot of the manuals are freely available online here too
                >http://vt100.net/manx/search?q=;start=0;on=0;cp=39
                >
                >I updated my webpage with other notes I received from Grant.
                >
                >=Dan
                >
                >[ My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                  Here's some info about patching the Basic for the SWTPC
                  http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Altair/Altair_Basic.htm
                  I like to getting it running on mine too.
                  I wonder if its the same as in the Byte issue ? ( I dont have that issue)

                  =Dan

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                    >Thanks. Maybe in the mean time I can try it on my SWTPc 6800. I will
                    >try
                    >to track down the BASIC or convert it using the info from Byte issue
                    >#8. I think that there's more memory, I have to check.
                    >bd

                    >Or try it on MARCH's swtpc ... I'm just saying...
                    >
                    >Decent chance that Grant might attend VCF East this year.
                    >
                    ><snip>

                    Good, maybe he'll have for sale the Altair 680 memory card he's working on.
                    Bill
                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                      Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

                      > Bill,
                      >
                      > After we talked about running Basic on the 680 back at TCF, I looked up
                      > the info that Grant Stockly sent. Here's the message(below) that Grant
                      > posted on the Altair group a while ago about loading Basic into the
                      > Altair 680 without using cassette or papertape. He has the complete
                      > papertape converted into a textfile. He already emailed me a copy. The
                      > instructions and this is are on my webpage
                      > <http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/computers_altair680.html>. Once I get
                      > done putting the new sockets into mine I'm going to try this too.
                      >
                      > =Dan

                      Just a small point of information. The "text file" is actually a hex
                      file dump, with some embedded comment lines. The format is known as
                      "Motorola S-record format", similar to Intel's hex record format for
                      their 8080 and later processors. Bytes are represented as two hex
                      characters. A hex record in either format has some address
                      information, several bytes of data, and a checksum byte. Hex format is
                      obviously convenient for either "text" files or for paper tapes; it's
                      human-readable as well. Hex is a little more efficient than octal, and
                      a LOT more convenient than binary in this context. intel, and
                      Motorola, have standards for these hex formats. If you have to change
                      a byte here and there, it's good to have the standard document around.

                      Herb Johnson

                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA