Great to see folks today!

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2007
      I had a fun time with the fellow MARCH members today! Bob Greib
      says Bill D's Altair got up an running... great news!

      Sorry I couldn't go to dinner with you guys, but my sister lives
      about 3 miles from TCNJ and had a big dinner planned with lots of
      family members, so that came first. I got back down to Bob G's
      place around 7:30 to get my car and he filled me in on some of
      the details of what went on after I left.

      Unfortunately a serious problem at work will require my attention
      Sunday, so I won't make it back up until next year.

      Thanks again for the fun day!

      Bob

      BTW... there was much confusion. Bob G and I (Bob) are both
      from Medford and both worked for Franklin Computer. Bill D was
      from Medford, but confused Herb with Bob G since they looked
      very similar, had the same sort of shirts, both wore caps and
      jeans. It took a few minutes in the parking lot to sort out
      who's who!
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2007
        ><snip>
        >
        >Thanks again for the fun day!
        >
        >Bob
        >
        >BTW... there was much confusion. Bob G and I (Bob) are both
        >from Medford and both worked for Franklin Computer. Bill D was
        >from Medford, but confused Herb with Bob G since they looked
        >very similar, had the same sort of shirts, both wore caps and
        >jeans. It took a few minutes in the parking lot to sort out
        >who's who!

        Just to add to the confusion...It was Evan who thought Bob Grieb was
        Herb. For a while I was referring to Bob G as Bob A.

        Had a great time, picked up some great stuff. Tested the Altair when I got
        home to be sure it was still OK....

        Good night.

        Bill D (formerly from Medford, NJ...now from Landenberg, PA.
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2007
          I always confuse Bill D. with the "I'm a Mac" guy ... the resemblance is uncanny!
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2007
            Just arrived at home here in Pittsburgh about 11:30pm. Thought I post
            something before I hit the hay. It was good to see everyone after a long
            time, had a good time at the dinner too. Can't wait to see the VCF setup
            at the InfoAge site.

            You guys already left at the end of the day but we launched one of my
            rockets there in the flea market to officially signify the end of the
            TCF event--all in spirit of the historic Field Artillery of the Colonial
            army at the Battle of Trenton--thankfully, no actual battle damage--but
            then there were no Hessian soldiers either--but we sure impressed some
            of the college girls there --woohoo !)

            =Dan
            P.S.
            You guys have it made in NJ, you never have to pump your own gas, the
            guy wouldnt let me pump gas (it's illegal !?)

          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
              Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

              > You guys already left at the end of the day but we launched one of my
              > rockets there in the flea market to officially signify the end of the
              > TCF event--all in spirit of the historic Field Artillery of the
              Colonial
              > army at the Battle of Trenton--thankfully, no actual battle damage--but
              > then there were no Hessian soldiers either--but we sure impressed some
              > of the college girls there --woohoo !)

              However...the remains of the rocket landed near my car, and caused me
              a bit of consteration until I saw there was no damage. Of course, I
              was worried about the InfoAge tables which were loaded in there.

              "Dr. S-100" house call report

              I enjoyed my time at TCF and among my MARCH colleagues. We all had a
              pleasant dinner on Saturday night; film is forthcoming. I sat in at
              the MARCH booths in the flea market, and at the show. Many people came
              by and were much impressed with our bits of old technology. MARCH gave
              them an opportunity to revisit their own computer past.

              There was the usual declining activity in the fleamarket: one had to
              look HARD to find the boatanchors which were once prevelant there.
              Even the dumpsters had nothing to offer - I recall when I fished out
              Zenith Z-100 systems from them. I myself bought a few widgets, nothing
              very old. Amung the oldest items I bought were ones from the MARCH
              table! But I picked up some books from the 1950's (about
              oscilloscopes) which I passed along, and some 1970's semiconductor
              databooks. Not much at the flea market for the gaming computers of the
              1980's, those too were once common until fairly recently.

              I'll have to think about participating in an S-100 way, next year.
              Bill Degan was close to doing that: he brought a MITS 680 and was
              assisted with some repairs on-site.

              I'll have photos of the show available in the near future. I'll post a
              link here.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA