8" Floppy diskettes conversion.

  • across_europe
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2007
      Hello all,
      I appreciate any help that you may be able to provide ahead of time.
      I am working on preserving and converting some 8" IBM diskettes
      (part # 2305830, Record lenght 128 bytes) to a modern format. I am
      new to this and would really appriciate any ideas on where to start.
      I live in Sacramento, CA and am hoping someone knows of a reliable
      source for a old drive that can read these disks. I dont currently
      know what system the data was written in. Also, could someone point
      me in the direction of the best way to convert this data to some
      optical media. Thanks for everything - G. Parisi
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2007
        Your best bet is to post on the cctalk mailing list. You can sign up at
        www.classiccmp.org.

        - Evan

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
          G,

          I am working on preserving and converting some 8" IBM diskettes

          Does this mean that you want to preserve the exact format of these floppies (sector by sector) or is only the information important? What is on the floppies? programs? text files? data in some proprietary format? Since you do not know what original machine wrote the files, the IBM label may have no bearing on how to read them. There are data conversion/recovery services that will attempt to read and recover the information on the floppies for a fee. Searching on 'data conversion services' in Yahoo returned thousands of items some of which were actual companies offering such a service.

          >>could someone point me in the direction of the best way to convert this data to some optical media

          Once you have the files on a modern machine, burning them to a CD is trivial using the tools on just about any PC.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
            "across_europe" <across_europe@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I appreciate any help that you may be able to provide ahead of time.
            > I am working on preserving and converting some 8" IBM diskettes
            > (part # 2305830, Record lenght 128 bytes) to a modern format. I am
            > new to this and would really appriciate any ideas on where to start.
            > I live in Sacramento, CA and am hoping someone knows of a reliable
            > source for a old drive that can read these disks. I dont currently
            > know what system the data was written in. Also, could someone point
            > me in the direction of the best way to convert this data to some
            > optical media. Thanks for everything - G. Parisi

            The short answer is that most likely, you'll have to pay a commercial
            company to do this for you, if they can. You've provided so little
            information that anyone who COULD help you from their own, personal or
            hobbyist resources, would not know enough to offer to do so. More
            information equals more help.

            Jim Scheef mentioned the basic issues. To get help, you have to
            identify the SPECIFIC COMPUTER system these came from; and what
            operating system it was running. You might need even more information
            about that prior system, including what software and hardware was used
            to write those files. Any information you have at all will be helpful:
            as it stands now with what you've said, you are in a very difficult
            situation, which would require an experienced technician with access
            to 8-inch drives and old-school experience to resolve for you.

            In any event, buying an 8-inch drive will do you no good, most likely.
            There is currently no simple, plug-in-and-go, hardware and software
            system you can plug into a Windows PC to either connect to an 8-inch
            floppy, or to read whatever is on that floppy. (The 8-inch floppy
            drive won't "plug in" into your Windows PC.) There are some partial
            solutions, which informed technical people can use to make it work.

            Bottom line: 1) You'd have to get "lucky" to find a technical person
            who has this capability AND who would help you for modest cost. 2)
            Otherwise, as Jim says, there are commercial companies which do this
            for rather expensive fees (if your interest is only personal). In
            either case, the more information you can gather about the history of
            these disks, the better for you.

            I've been selling 8-inch floppy drives, and documentation on them, for
            decades. I see this question all the time. Check my Web site for some
            discussion and some Web links. But mostly those links are for
            technically oriented people.

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s100faq.html#TEN

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_drives.html

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_point.html#disks

            My Web site is under some revision, so this information is rather
            spread out. I'll fix that but not today. Thanks for your question!

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA