Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone flooded in today?

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 16 11:53 AM
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Things are bad around here. I couldn't get to work this morning -- here in
      > north/central NJ, all the roads from my home to the highway are completely
      > flooded. Severe flooding is everywhere from Hoboken to Bridgewater. In
      > fact in Hoboken, there was a very bad fire this morning at a lumber yard,
      > only two short blocks from my old apartment. And where there's not fire,
      > there is ... snow! This is crazy.
      >
      > Good news: NO flooding in the InfoAge basement. I spoke to Fred a few
      > minutes ago. There is some mild dampness, but he's got multiple
      > dehumidifiers down there on full blast.

      I didn't get flooded in, per se, but there is quite a lot of flooding
      around here. There are a whole bunch of roads that are closed. The
      Hudson Valley is a good bit hillier than northern and central Jersey, so
      our problems with flooding tend to happen at low spots. Like my
      parents' back yard.

      Peace... Sridhar
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 16 12:07 PM
        At 02:53 PM 4/16/2007 -0400, you wrote:
        >Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > > Things are bad around here. I couldn't get to work this morning -- here in
        > > north/central NJ, all the roads from my home to the highway are completely
        > > flooded. Severe flooding is everywhere from Hoboken to Bridgewater. In
        > > fact in Hoboken, there was a very bad fire this morning at a lumber yard,
        > > only two short blocks from my old apartment. And where there's not fire,
        > > there is ... snow! This is crazy.

        We lost power at work. Have to work from home.

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 16 1:07 PM
            Not today <g>, but the family Did suffer a 20" flood that I've been
            salvaging lately, which is keeping me a bit away from the hobby...
            Effected things like photo albums   :{    The TCF will be a nice break.

            On topic several of the local highways were shut down.
            After Floyd there was a 2 mile long string of flooded cards that
            had to be towed off of one highway and I think that was ~2" Less
            water than now.

            John A.
          • ysgdhio
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 16 1:09 PM
              > Severe flooding is everywhere from Hoboken to Bridgewater.

              Had lots of water in the backyard.
              Thankfully none in the basement, but only because the power stayed on.
              My brave little sump pump was working non-stop.

              Andy
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 16 2:20 PM
                I'm so far up a hill - it's about 300' vertical down to the valley in front - that if my house floods, you better know somebody with an arc. There was some mild flooding in the farm field down in the valley.

                Jim

                > Severe flooding is everywhere from Hoboken to Bridgewater.

                Had lots of water in the backyard.
                Thankfully none in the basement, but only because the power stayed on.
                My brave little sump pump was working non-stop.

                Andy

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 16 3:07 PM
                  On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

                  > I'm so far up a hill - it's about 300' vertical down to the valley in
                  > front - that if my house floods, you better know somebody with an arc.

                  Speaking of arks:

                  http://www.shider.com/games/music/bc-noah.mp3

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 16 3:33 PM
                    >>> I'm so far up a hill - it's about 300' vertical down to the valley in front

                    This year's winter holiday party and sledding race is at Jim's house!

                    I'm so far up a hill - it's about 300' vertical down to the valley in front - that if my house floods, you better know somebody with an arc. There was some mild flooding in the farm field down in the valley.

                    Jim

                    Thankfully none in the basement, but only because the power stayed on.
                    My brave little sump pump was working non-stop.

                    Andy

                  • Jeffrey Frady
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 16 4:04 PM
                      Roads weren't too bad here in Jackson.  I went to work today in Windsor via 95 and 130.  Just bad weather.  Took the backroads home.  One of the roads was flooded over, swamp on each side.  But it wasn't too deep.

                      Took some pictures of the storm on the way home.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/sets/72157600083939609/

                      On 4/16/07, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                      On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

                      > I'm so far up a hill - it's about 300' vertical down to the valley in
                      > front - that if my house floods, you better know somebody with an arc.

                      Speaking of arks:

                      http://www.shider.com/games/music/bc-noah.mp3

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                      Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
                    • Jeffrey Frady
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 16 4:46 PM
                        I gradiated erly.  ;-)

                        Work?  LOL did you drop out of high school?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 16 5:17 PM

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 16 9:37 PM
                            ysgdhio wrote:
                            > On 4/16/07, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                            >> Severe flooding is everywhere from Hoboken to Bridgewater.
                            >
                            > Had lots of water in the backyard.
                            > Thankfully none in the basement, but only because the power stayed on.
                            > My brave little sump pump was working non-stop.

                            My *entire* neighborhood was flooded. But not my basement or attic.

                            This was also the first time in more than fifty years that a state of
                            emergency was declared in the City of Poughkeepsie due to flooding.
                            Poughkeepsie is criss-crossed by drainage canals, and many, if not most
                            of them, went over their banks. As did Fall Kill, Wappingers Creek and
                            Fishkill Creek. It's the worst I've ever seen.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • jack99rubin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 17 5:10 AM
                              Sunny and clear in Chicago - high of 60 predicted for today. Of course
                              you don't need bad weather to flood - we had 6" of water in our
                              basement last month because I didn't get the storm sewer rodded and it
                              was blocked, causing ground water to back up through our storm drain.
                              Very cleansing experience. Not funner.

                              See you guys at VCF - anyone coming out to the midwest event?

                              Jack
                            • Dan
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 17 5:36 AM
                                Starting to dry up here in Pittsburgh
                                Rivers are still cresting.
                                Hey Chicago, blow some of that heat wave here.
                                Can't wait for the temp to hit 60 here by the weekend.
                                Forecasts say we might have a heat wave for TCF, crossing fingers here.
                                roadtrip ! TCF or bust

                                =Dan

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 17 5:26 PM
                                  >>> anyone coming out to the midwest event?

                                  One of these years ... haven't got the $$ or time off work this year.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 18 4:32 PM
                                    A holiday party is a possibility but the guy that owns the farm is an idiot and has allowed the field to fill with barberry so sledding is poor. I did go snowshoeing over there in March, which was fun. I lead a hike in the open space behind my house each New Years Day. We could add some vintage computing to that event!

                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 18 4:33 PM
                                      Mike,

                                      One of my favorite Bill Cosby routines. I also like the one about the family bible that has "all the words".

                                      Jim

                                      > I'm so far up a hill - it's about 300' vertical down to the valley in
                                      > front - that if my house floods, you better know somebody with an arc.

                                      Speaking of arks:

                                      http://www.shider. com/games/ music/bc- noah.mp3

                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                                      Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                                    • Bryan Pope
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 18 7:02 PM
                                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                        > Things are bad around here. I couldn't get to work this morning -- here in
                                        > north/central NJ, all the roads from my home to the highway are completely
                                        > flooded. Severe flooding is everywhere from Hoboken to Bridgewater. In
                                        > fact in Hoboken, there was a very bad fire this morning at a lumber yard,
                                        > only two short blocks from my old apartment. And where there's not fire,
                                        > there is ... snow! This is crazy.

                                        I got flooded out of my apartment.. :( :( :( :( etc.. Currently I am
                                        staying in a hotel. I am hoping that not too much of my vintage
                                        computer stuff got damaged as it *seems* the room most of it is in is
                                        somewhat dry. I won't know till the apartment get dried out (and
                                        livable) and I am able to move back in.

                                        I am going to try to go to the TCF for a bit this weekend, but I won't
                                        be able to have any kind of display system. Right now I am happy that I
                                        finally was able to network the hotels WIFI with my computers so that I
                                        can get some work done.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Bryan
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 18 7:50 PM
                                          While my house was never in danger, New Milford (CT) had street flooding on two important roads near our "downtown". As we speak, US Rt.7/202 is still blocked by water at a low spot connected to the Housatonic River by a small drainage ditch. When the river was higher, water also blocked the approach to our main bridge over the Housatonic and that required a detour of a several of miles mainly becuase the other road blockage is normally the normal alternate to the Rt.202 bridge. There is still concern that the Housatonic will return to flood stage if the snow pack in southern Mass. melts too fast.

                                          Before moving to CT, I lived in a suburb west of Chicago. In 1969 we had a summer rain storm that dumped 6" in 3 hours on already saturated ground. The brain-damaged single sewer system backup up into the streets. This is when I learned that our end of the block was a foot higher than the other end. Two guys fooling arou nd in a small boat went by our house at the peak of the flooding but during all this we never lost our power or water.

                                          Jim

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 18 8:46 PM
                                            Bryan,

                                            Bummer! With the cool temps, mildew should be less of a problem than, say, New Orleans, but I would get those computers out of the humidity as soon as possible. Hope the rest of your stuff is not damaged.

                                            Jim

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 18 9:02 PM
                                              Wow, really sorry to hear about your situation, Bryan. I hope you have good
                                              renter's insurance. If you want, you can temporarily store your computers
                                              in our secure basement room at InfoAge, although a regular self-storage
                                              place is probably closer and easier.

                                              By the way -- TCF is not this weekend. It's the 28th-29th.