Re: [midatlanticretro] anyone knowledgeable of early Xerox DOS/CPM stuff?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2005
      Chris,

      I would expect Xerox DOS files to be MS-DOS-compatible. Beyond that would be
      anybody's guess. Microsoft set standards for DOS that were followed almost
      everywhere. If the floppies are 5 1/4", I would expect them to be readable by
      an IBM PC. AFAIK only DEC tried to "lock in" their customers with
      incompatible disk drives in their Rainbow PCs. [Early Rainbow DOS did not
      include a format command to force customers to buy DEC-branded floppies.]
      Xerox could have played similar games, but I doubt it. Most manufacturers had
      'learned' from the mistakes of the CP/M days.

      Jim