Sorting out the display on an 80 column PET

  • David Comley
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2007
      Bryan or Bill ought to know the answer to this one
      given all the PET activity that's been covered on the
      list recently. I bought an 80 column PET a couple of
      weeks back and it's in good shape expect that the
      display is rotated a few degrees within the CRT. I'm
      assuming that all I need to do is rotate the yoke on
      the back of the CRT to correct this. Have any other
      PET owners experienced this and have tips for
      resolving ?

      I also need to clean the keyboard - any tips there ?

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2007
        Dave,
        It may be that all you need to do it tighten the screws that attach the crt
        to the board, etc within the display chassis. I would do that first. It's
        harder to get to the display guts of a newer PET however. In fact I am
        unsure if you can rotate the yoke without cutting a hole in the
        back/bottom. You will have to start by removing the crt chassis from the
        base. The 2001 series was a lot easier to get to. I just verified, there
        are no screws that you can simply remove the back cover of the crt chassis,
        as you'd find on the 2001 series. There is only a little hole that you can
        stick your fingers through to reach in blindly to get into the crt. I have
        learned to respect the charge that builds up in a CRT, not a good place to
        stick your hand... :-)
        BIll

        At 06:56 AM 4/15/2007 -0700, you wrote:
        >Bryan or Bill ought to know the answer to this one
        >given all the PET activity that's been covered on the
        >list recently. I bought an 80 column PET a couple of
        >weeks back and it's in good shape expect that the
        >display is rotated a few degrees within the CRT. I'm
        >assuming that all I need to do is rotate the yoke on
        >the back of the CRT to correct this. Have any other
        >PET owners experienced this and have tips for
        >resolving ?
        >
        >I also need to clean the keyboard - any tips there ?
        >
        >-Dave
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15, 2007
          --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > Dave,
          > It may be that all you need to do it tighten the
          > screws that attach the crt
          > to the board, etc within the display chassis. I
          > would do that first.

          I'll try it - thanks for the tip. I haven't peeked
          under the hood yet so I have no idea what to expect.

          > get into the crt. I have
          > learned to respect the charge that builds up in a
          > CRT, not a good place to
          > stick your hand... :-)

          Agreed. I've accumulated four or five 'high voltage'
          repair projects on my workbench over the past couple
          of years ranging from a Macintosh SE drive replacement
          (I understand one has to discharge the CRT prior to
          digging out the drive) to a VT100 with CRT problems.
          I'll add the PET to the list. I need to set myself up
          with one of those probes for discharging CRTs and
          other things where an HT charge builds up before I
          take those projects any further.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 15, 2007

            >Agreed. I've accumulated four or five 'high voltage'
            >repair projects on my workbench over the past couple
            >of years ranging from a Macintosh SE drive replacement
            >(I understand one has to discharge the CRT prior to
            >digging out the drive) to a VT100 with CRT problems.
            >I'll add the PET to the list. I need to set myself up
            >with one of those probes for discharging CRTs and
            >other things where an HT charge builds up before I
            >take those projects any further.
            >
            >-Dave

            I tried the "use your finger" method, it's not a very comfortable way to
            discharge the voltage.