Re: [midatlanticretro] possibly interesting DECtape

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
      > Did someone mention they might bring a PDP/8 with DECtape drive(s)?

      That is my plan.

      > I have a tape that might be interesting to read/copy; it contains
      > an operating system called P?S (Poly Question Society), that is,
      > assuming the tape is still readable - it's almost 30 years old.

      Haven't heard of that one. Do you know what it was like?

      > If there's any interest, I can bring it.

      I have been able to get an error free dump of about 80-90% of the tapes
      I have tried. Only a few have had more than a few errors so we have a good
      chance of reading it.
    • ahm
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2005
        On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 06:17:27PM -0500, David Gesswein wrote:
        > > an operating system called P?S (Poly Question Society),

        > Haven't heard of that one. Do you know what it was like?

        Not after 30 years, I don't. :)

        > I have been able to get an error free dump of about 80-90% of the tapes
        > I have tried.

        What (or where) do you dump to?
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 19, 2005
          > > I have been able to get an error free dump of about 80-90% of the tapes
          > > I have tried.
          >
          > What (or where) do you dump to?

          I use the same web interface people use to run the machine over the net.
          It stores it on my webserver in SIMH format. The webserver is also retro,
          it is a 486/66 I upgraded to 133 with 64MB ram 40GB disk.

          The PDP-8/E is interfaced to the parallel port of the PC using a custom card
          I made that allows remote control of front panel functions and databreak
          access to memory. I will need to get a laptop setup to control it.

          David Gesswein
          http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
          Have any PDP-8 stuff you're willing to part with?