anyone knowledgeable of early Xerox DOS/CPM stuff?

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2005
      In particular is a Xerox 8/16 file compatible with a
      vanilla pc.

      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
    • BOYD BORRILL
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2005
        My guess is the opposite --- that is, it is file compatable with cp/m.  But don't quote me on it.  I'll callan old buddy tomorrow morning and ask him,  He was a dealer for them back in the late 70s or early 80s.  It is probably file compatable with whichever Op system you are running and if you needed to change it you ran another piece of software that could xlate either way.
        Ray

        Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
        In particular is a Xerox 8/16 file compatible with a
        vanilla pc.

        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html

        Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2005
          basically I wanted to know if the said DOS-specific
          disks could be archived (WinImaged maybe) on a modern
          PC. Didnt really give any thought to the cpm specific
          stuff, if I find any when I get there. My ardent,
          tearful apologies for asking my usual vague questions.
          --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:
          > My guess is the opposite --- that is, it is file
          compatable with cp/m. But don't quote me on it. I'll
          callan old buddy tomorrow morning and ask him, He was
          a dealer for them back in the late 70s or early 80s.
          It is probably file compatable with whichever Op
          system you are running and if you needed to change it
          you ran another piece of software that could xlate
          either way.
          > Ray
          >
          > Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
          > In particular is a Xerox 8/16 file compatible with a
          > vanilla pc.
          >

          > Discover Yahoo!
          > Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for
          the weekend. Check it out!

          Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 18, 2005
            Chris,

            I would expect Xerox DOS files to be MS-DOS-compatible. Beyond that would be
            anybody's guess. Microsoft set standards for DOS that were followed almost
            everywhere. If the floppies are 5 1/4", I would expect them to be readable by
            an IBM PC. AFAIK only DEC tried to "lock in" their customers with
            incompatible disk drives in their Rainbow PCs. [Early Rainbow DOS did not
            include a format command to force customers to buy DEC-branded floppies.]
            Xerox could have played similar games, but I doubt it. Most manufacturers had
            'learned' from the mistakes of the CP/M days.

            Jim