hold on!...re: Kaypro II boot disk (no longer) wanted (and luggable inventory)

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
      Thank you everyone who replied to my request...

      I remembered this page...
      http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm
      ...I forgot to check here for the boot image of the Kaypro II. I will
      experiment with this first because I can just pull directly to diskette and
      build myself. I only need a boot disk for testing, not authenticity. I
      have recently been given two Kaypro II's, and I want to test to see if they
      work.

      Here is a quick inventory of my luggables:
      Kaypro II (qty 2)
      Osborne 1 (tan)
      Osborne 1a (blue, new in box)
      IBM 5155
      Compaq Portable 286

      Bill
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
        On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, B. Degnan wrote:

        > Here is a quick inventory of my luggables:
        > Kaypro II (qty 2)
        > Osborne 1 (tan)
        > Osborne 1a (blue, new in box)

        Nice!

        > IBM 5155
        > Compaq Portable 286

        My current collection of luggables:

        Kaypro 2
        Kaypro 4/84
        Kaypro 2X
        Kaypro 4 Plus 88
        Kaypro 10
        Osborne 1 (tan)
        Osborne 1a (blue)
        Osborne Executive
        TRS-80 Model 4P

        Still need these:

        Kaypro IV/83
        Kaypro II
        Kaypro 1
        Kaypro Robie
        Osborne Vixen

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
          <snip>

          > My current collection of luggables:
          >
          >Kaypro 2
          >Kaypro 4/84
          >Kaypro 2X
          >Kaypro 4 Plus 88
          >Kaypro 10
          >Osborne 1 (tan)
          >Osborne 1a (blue)
          >Osborne Executive
          >TRS-80 Model 4P

          I did not think to include my TRS 80 4P (acquired in a trade from Kelly)

          > Still need these:
          >
          >Kaypro IV/83
          >Kaypro II
          >Kaypro 1
          >Kaypro Robie
          >Osborne Vixen

          Maybe I can trade you my spare Kaypro II, let me know if you're going to
          Trenton. I will probably bring it anyway.

          Bill
        • William Pechter
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
            I've got a couple as well:

            Late Gemini Zorba with CP/M
            Panasonic Senior Partner w/MS-DOS

            Bill
            --- Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, B. Degnan wrote:
            >
            > > Here is a quick inventory of my luggables:
            > > Kaypro II (qty 2)
            > > Osborne 1 (tan)
            > > Osborne 1a (blue, new in box)
            >
            > Nice!
            >
            > > IBM 5155
            > > Compaq Portable 286
            >
            > My current collection of luggables:
            >
            > Kaypro 2
            > Kaypro 4/84
            > Kaypro 2X
            > Kaypro 4 Plus 88
            > Kaypro 10
            > Osborne 1 (tan)
            > Osborne 1a (blue)
            > Osborne Executive
            > TRS-80 Model 4P
            >
            > Still need these:
            >
            > Kaypro IV/83
            > Kaypro II
            > Kaypro 1
            > Kaypro Robie
            > Osborne Vixen
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

            Bill Pechter
            Lakewood MicroSystems
            732-931-0070 (voice)
            877-661-2126 (fax)
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
              Can someone recommend an economical EPROM programmer which would be
              useful with the kind of EPROMS found in 70s/80s vintage micros?

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
                Mike Loewen wrote:
                > Can someone recommend an economical EPROM programmer which would be
                > useful with the kind of EPROMS found in 70s/80s vintage micros?

                If you don't mind building your own, there is this: EEP ->
                http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/circuits/EEP-0.2.html or
                http://outflux.net/software/pkgs/EPROM/

                Note: I have not built any of these, just passing along what I have
                found in the ether of the internet...

                I have also seen some cheap burners and erasers on eBay, but they are
                all shipped from Hong Kong or IIRC, Thailand..

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • Bob Grieb
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
                  Needham Electronics used to sell one for about $125 that
                  worked with a PC. Came with an ISA interface card, and
                  a 40-pin DIP on a pc bd at the end of a ribbon cable.
                  It would program or read just about anything, and the software
                  could do some handy things easily. It used DOS software.
                  I have one of the boards. Model PB-10. I don't know
                  if they still sell it. Maybe you could get one on ebay.
                  It works really well.

                  Bob

                  --- Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                  > Can someone recommend an economical EPROM programmer which would
                  > be
                  > useful with the kind of EPROMS found in 70s/80s vintage micros?
                  >

                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                    Does anyone headed for VCF East this year have a smallish line printer
                    with a standard parallel interface? Something that will handle wide
                    fanfold paper? Please reply off-list.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 6, 2007
                      Mike,
                      I had one, unsure what happened to it. I was selling it at the TCF, did
                      not sell on Saturday. Unsure what happened to it on Sunday...anyone from
                      TCF care to share the status of this printer? It is at InfoAge now?
                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 6, 2007
                        Mike and Bill,

                        I have the Tandy printer at my house in CT. It would not fit in either Herb's or Bryan's car. The two of you can negotiate off list. It is a Tandy DWP-230 and comes with a Xeroxed copy of a manual for a DWP-410 which may be similar. The printer is in a box, but there is no packing material. Sold or not, if it's still here, I'll bring it to Info-Age when I come for VCF.

                        It didn't occur to me to reply to Mike's message because I think of a line printer as something connected to a big computer that prints a line at a time in one kerchunk and thus prints a 60-line page in less than a second. While this one does print a line at a time, it does so one character after another. :-)

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 6, 2007
                          On Sun, 6 May 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

                          > I have the Tandy printer at my house in CT. It would not fit in either
                          > Herb's or Bryan's car. The two of you can negotiate off list. It is a
                          > Tandy DWP-230 and comes with a Xeroxed copy of a manual for a DWP-410
                          > which may be similar. The printer is in a box, but there is no packing
                          > material. Sold or not, if it's still here, I'll bring it to Info-Age
                          > when I come for VCF.

                          Actually, I already have a Xerox 1640 daisywheel printer, which uses
                          the same Diablo Hytype II engine as the DWP-230. Mine self tests okay,
                          and I just have to check out the serial interface (1200 baud, yuck).

                          > It didn't occur to me to reply to Mike's message because I think of a
                          > line printer as something connected to a big computer that prints a line
                          > at a time in one kerchunk and thus prints a 60-line page in less than a
                          > second.

                          Believe it or not, that's what I'm looking for. :-) Something on the
                          order of a small pedestal type Printronix or HP, what they call
                          line-matrix printers.

                          The Xerox 1640 will probably work for what I want, but it's going to be
                          slow.

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 14, 2007
                            I have two pieces of older Fore networking equipment available for the
                            cost of shipping, or free delivery at VCF East. One is a Forerunner
                            ES-3810 ethernet switch, with 3 ESM-24 modules, a NMM (Network Management
                            Module) and a ATM-1/155MMSC module. I believe this to be working. The
                            other is a Forerunner ASX-200WG ATM Switch, and I have no way of testing
                            it.

                            Let me know if you're interested in either one. I'm in State College,
                            PA (16803).

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...