interesting luggables on Ebay

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007
      Interesting luggables on Ebay

      Direct 1000 Computer PC for Parts OA1000 (ebay 280099386139)
      Monroe OC3320 (ebay 220099587597)

      I never heard of these. Anyone think these are rare/worth something?

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007
        Neither are in Mike's book by model although similar units are
        $17-$40. Not really my cup of tea, they are in our region and could be
        purchased / picked up locally.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2007
            Bill,

            Based solely on the number of function keys I bet these are not DOS clone machines. If the Monroe is the calculator company, then that would be a significant machine, because Monroe was not successful at making computers. Since the holy book covers more common makes, the fact that these are NOT in the book would make me even more interested.

            With less than 9 hours to go, the prices are still in the easily collectible range.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2007
              go for it then!
              Bill

              > Bill,
              >
              > Based solely on the number of function keys I bet these are not DOS clone
              > machines. If the Monroe is the calculator company, then that would be a
              > significant machine, because Monroe was not successful at making
              > computers. Since the holy book covers more common makes, the fact that
              > these are NOT in the book would make me even more interested.
              >
              > With less than 9 hours to go, the prices are still in the easily
              > collectible range.
              >
              > Jim

              -END-
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2007
                >>> Since the holy book covers more common makes, the fact that these are
                NOT in the book would make me even more interested.

                Not necessarily. Mike told me that his manuscript covered 1,200+
                computers, but the publishers made him cut it to 700, so he took out the
                ones which were uninteresting or redundant or just had minor differences.
                So, it's likely that if an age-appropriate microcomputer is not in the
                book, it's because the computer was LESS desirable to collectors.

                For a more recently updated reference source, did anyone check on
                www.old-computers.com? (Simple asking Sellam is just as useful --
                sellam@... -- he's a walking encyclopedia.)
              • Michael Nadeau
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9, 2007

                  The OC in the Monroe name refers to "Occupational," which I believe means it was dedicated to a specific office task or designed for a specific type of worker. The keyboard looks identical to the OC8820, a desktop model that is listed in my book. I have no info on the 3320, but judging from the designation it's probably a lower-end portable version of the OC8820.

                  I don't have info on the Direct, either, but the system looks familiar. It's probably a rebranded system manufactured by someone else.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 9, 2007
                    Thanks Mike!  LOL, I completely forgot that you sometimes READ this list.   :)