Re: FW: Robotfest

  • us21090
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2005
      Water under the bridge, but...

      Yes, the Robot Fest (http://www.robotfest.com) *is* a cool event...
      I'm one of the organizers. I toyed with the idea of posting info
      about it here (at the risk of being OT), primarily for the fact that
      we have it at the Historical Electronics Museum near BWI airport.
      Very cool museum-- not really focused on general purpose computing,
      but lots on basic electricity, electronics, hands-on displays and lots
      more on communications, military radar systems, counter measures.
      They are making major improvements to their website, but you can find
      some info at http://www.hem-usa.org/ and in Evan's Museum book!!

      The Robot Fest is free, yearly, one day event where kids (1st-12th
      grade), college students and adults (who refuse to grow up) can
      display and demostrate their robot creations. You would see LEGO
      Mindstorm bots, F.I.R.S.T. competitors (http://www.usfirst.org), CNC
      machining, and others. This year we also had the local Fire
      Marshall's 600 pound Search and Rescue robot.

      The Fest doesn't have a competition format, but new this year an 8'x8'
      steel and plexiglass arena was brought in for small bot BattleBot-type
      competitions.

      The Baltimore Sun provided a nice follow-up article (grrr- free
      registration required (or bugmenot!):
      http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.robo
      ts15may15,1,96676.story

      Scott "Guy with the Kim-1 at TCF2005" Austin