Re: [midatlanticretro] OS/2 on a Toshiba lapmonster

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
      John Allain wrote:
      >> I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
      >> a case of "minimum requirements".
      >
      > This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.

      I didn't think anyone remembered that one. 8-)

      > Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?

      What I meant was that is it wasn't actually a minimum requirement. It
      was a bullshit requirement to cater to some marketroid's subjective
      impression of what "acceptably fast" means.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • madodel
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
        Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
        > John Allain wrote:
        >>> I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
        >>> a case of "minimum requirements".
        >> This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.
        >
        > I didn't think anyone remembered that one. 8-)
        >
        >> Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?
        >
        > What I meant was that is it wasn't actually a minimum requirement. It
        > was a bullshit requirement to cater to some marketroid's subjective
        > impression of what "acceptably fast" means.
        >
        > Peace... Sridhar

        Perhaps, but I tried running Voice Type on a 486DX33 and it didn't work at
        all, so for VT I think even a Pentium 75 was probably just barely usable.
        The Warp4 box says 486DX33 minimum for installation, and like I said it was
        RAM for both Warp3 and Warp4 that made it usable, and was one of the major
        reasons for its demise since RAM was always at a premium in those days.
        OS/2's memory requirements were always at the high end of what was standard
        back then. And the more the better it ran. Now I have 2 GB and rarely get
        even close to using it all, and then only when I run XP from a VirtualPC
        under OS/2. So maybe it would install on a 386, but if its not really
        usable what is the point?

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel