Re: [midatlanticretro] OS/2 on a Toshiba lapmonster

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
      > I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
      > a case of "minimum requirements".

      This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.
      Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?

      <classiccmp>
      My painfully slow experience was Java ?1.1 on a 486/33.
      Something like 90 seconds to process a mouseclick. This was
      actually trying something below the stated minimum requirements.
      </classiccmp>

      > I can tell you without hesitation that Warp 3 is leaner than 2.1. I was
      > actually pleasantly surprised when I bought my first copy of Warp 3 and
      > found that out. Warp 3 was faster than 2.1 on nearly every machine I
      > tried it on.

      Very interesting,

      John A.
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
        John Allain wrote:
        >> I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
        >> a case of "minimum requirements".
        >
        > This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.

        I didn't think anyone remembered that one. 8-)

        > Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?

        What I meant was that is it wasn't actually a minimum requirement. It
        was a bullshit requirement to cater to some marketroid's subjective
        impression of what "acceptably fast" means.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • madodel
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
          Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
          > John Allain wrote:
          >>> I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
          >>> a case of "minimum requirements".
          >> This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.
          >
          > I didn't think anyone remembered that one. 8-)
          >
          >> Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?
          >
          > What I meant was that is it wasn't actually a minimum requirement. It
          > was a bullshit requirement to cater to some marketroid's subjective
          > impression of what "acceptably fast" means.
          >
          > Peace... Sridhar

          Perhaps, but I tried running Voice Type on a 486DX33 and it didn't work at
          all, so for VT I think even a Pentium 75 was probably just barely usable.
          The Warp4 box says 486DX33 minimum for installation, and like I said it was
          RAM for both Warp3 and Warp4 that made it usable, and was one of the major
          reasons for its demise since RAM was always at a premium in those days.
          OS/2's memory requirements were always at the high end of what was standard
          back then. And the more the better it ran. Now I have 2 GB and rarely get
          even close to using it all, and then only when I run XP from a VirtualPC
          under OS/2. So maybe it would install on a 386, but if its not really
          usable what is the point?

          Mark

          --

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel