Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [midatlanticretro] OS/2 on a Toshiba lapmonster

Expand Messages
  • Sridhar Ayengar
    ... I m not Mark, but I ve run OS/2 a lot, so I thought I might be able to take a swing at this. ... Anything newer than Warp 3 would probably do just fine.
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 6:01 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      Jim Scheef wrote:
      > Mark,

      I'm not Mark, but I've run OS/2 a lot, so I thought I might be able to
      take a swing at this.

      > What version of OS/2 might you recommend for my "new" Toshiba T6600C
      > lapmonster (cira 1993)? It has 8M RAM. I have yet to run a diagnostics
      > program on it so I don't know what the video chip is. It has a built-in
      > Adaptec SCSI interface that runs the CD-ROM, which might affect reading
      > a setup CD. Also, I installed an NE-2000 network card, so it would be
      > nice if that worked as well. Any thoughts?

      Anything newer than Warp 3 would probably do just fine. There's a bunch
      of new capabilities that would make Warp 4 very convenient. One is that
      it's very easy to install a late-model web browser.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • madodel
      ... Is this a 486 or 386? Warp 4 required a 486/33 minimum. And a Pentium/75 for VoiceType. Also Warp 4 requires a minimum of 12MB, and 16MB would be
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 7:18 PM
      • 0 Attachment
        Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
        > Jim Scheef wrote:
        >> Mark,
        >
        > I'm not Mark, but I've run OS/2 a lot, so I thought I might be able to
        > take a swing at this.
        >
        >> What version of OS/2 might you recommend for my "new" Toshiba T6600C
        >> lapmonster (cira 1993)? It has 8M RAM. I have yet to run a diagnostics
        >> program on it so I don't know what the video chip is. It has a built-in
        >> Adaptec SCSI interface that runs the CD-ROM, which might affect reading
        >> a setup CD. Also, I installed an NE-2000 network card, so it would be
        >> nice if that worked as well. Any thoughts?
        >
        > Anything newer than Warp 3 would probably do just fine. There's a bunch
        > of new capabilities that would make Warp 4 very convenient. One is that
        > it's very easy to install a late-model web browser.
        >
        > Peace... Sridhar

        Is this a 486 or 386? Warp 4 required a 486/33 minimum. And a Pentium/75
        for VoiceType. Also Warp 4 requires a minimum of 12MB, and 16MB would be
        better. Warp3 is leaner and I seem to recall installing it in as little as
        6 MB of RAM, but more is better, as anything less then 12MB I think used a
        lot of disk caching so it ran slow. Both versions of Warp required a 3.5"
        floppy to do the initial install boot. I think Warp 3 should recognize an
        Adaptec SCSI but you can find a complete 3.5" diskette version, but I
        think that was 20+ diskettes to swap out. Its been almost 15 years since
        I installed Warp3 and all the copies I have are at the Museum now. I'm not
        sure if OS/2 2.1 will work with the Adaptec/CDROM combo. I think I have a
        copy of OS/2 Unleashed, 2.1 here unless I took that to InfoAge as well. If
        I can find it I will look to see if it mentions a SCSI CDROM. That release
        had both CDROM and floppy disk versions also. I'm pretty sure I have a
        couple copies of 2.1 all diskette version at InfoAge.

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org
        Warpstock Europe - http://www.warpstock.net


        For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE -
        http://www.os2voice.org

        "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the
        growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their
        democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of
        government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
        power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly
        Investigation, 1938
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        ... I ve run Warp 4 on a 386DX-33 w/4MB. It s painfully slow, but it runs. I don t think it s a case of minimum requirements, but more of a case of minimum
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2 5:34 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          madodel wrote:
          > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
          >> Jim Scheef wrote:
          >>> Mark,
          >> I'm not Mark, but I've run OS/2 a lot, so I thought I might be able to
          >> take a swing at this.
          >>
          >>> What version of OS/2 might you recommend for my "new" Toshiba T6600C
          >>> lapmonster (cira 1993)? It has 8M RAM. I have yet to run a diagnostics
          >>> program on it so I don't know what the video chip is. It has a built-in
          >>> Adaptec SCSI interface that runs the CD-ROM, which might affect reading
          >>> a setup CD. Also, I installed an NE-2000 network card, so it would be
          >>> nice if that worked as well. Any thoughts?
          >> Anything newer than Warp 3 would probably do just fine. There's a bunch
          >> of new capabilities that would make Warp 4 very convenient. One is that
          >> it's very easy to install a late-model web browser.
          >>
          >> Peace... Sridhar
          >
          > Is this a 486 or 386? Warp 4 required a 486/33 minimum. And a Pentium/75
          > for VoiceType. Also Warp 4 requires a minimum of 12MB, and 16MB would be
          > better. Warp3 is leaner and I seem to recall installing it in as little as
          > 6 MB of RAM, but more is better, as anything less then 12MB I think used a
          > lot of disk caching so it ran slow. Both versions of Warp required a 3.5"

          I've run Warp 4 on a 386DX-33 w/4MB. It's painfully slow, but it runs.
          I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of a case
          of "minimum requirements".

          > floppy to do the initial install boot. I think Warp 3 should recognize an
          > Adaptec SCSI but you can find a complete 3.5" diskette version, but I
          > think that was 20+ diskettes to swap out. Its been almost 15 years since
          > I installed Warp3 and all the copies I have are at the Museum now. I'm not
          > sure if OS/2 2.1 will work with the Adaptec/CDROM combo. I think I have a
          > copy of OS/2 Unleashed, 2.1 here unless I took that to InfoAge as well. If
          > I can find it I will look to see if it mentions a SCSI CDROM. That release
          > had both CDROM and floppy disk versions also. I'm pretty sure I have a
          > couple copies of 2.1 all diskette version at InfoAge.

          I can tell you without hesitation that Warp 3 is leaner than 2.1. I was
          actually pleasantly surprised when I bought my first copy of Warp 3 and
          found that out. Warp 3 was faster than 2.1 on nearly every machine I
          tried it on.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • John Allain
          ... This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse. Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people? My painfully slow experience
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2 6:13 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            > I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
            > a case of "minimum requirements".

            This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.
            Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?

            <classiccmp>
            My painfully slow experience was Java ?1.1 on a 486/33.
            Something like 90 seconds to process a mouseclick. This was
            actually trying something below the stated minimum requirements.
            </classiccmp>

            > I can tell you without hesitation that Warp 3 is leaner than 2.1. I was
            > actually pleasantly surprised when I bought my first copy of Warp 3 and
            > found that out. Warp 3 was faster than 2.1 on nearly every machine I
            > tried it on.

            Very interesting,

            John A.
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            ... I didn t think anyone remembered that one. 8-) ... What I meant was that is it wasn t actually a minimum requirement. It was a bullshit requirement to
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2 6:33 AM
            • 0 Attachment
              John Allain wrote:
              >> I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
              >> a case of "minimum requirements".
              >
              > This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.

              I didn't think anyone remembered that one. 8-)

              > Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?

              What I meant was that is it wasn't actually a minimum requirement. It
              was a bullshit requirement to cater to some marketroid's subjective
              impression of what "acceptably fast" means.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • madodel
              ... Perhaps, but I tried running Voice Type on a 486DX33 and it didn t work at all, so for VT I think even a Pentium 75 was probably just barely usable. The
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2 8:26 AM
              • 0 Attachment
                Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                > John Allain wrote:
                >>> I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
                >>> a case of "minimum requirements".
                >> This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.
                >
                > I didn't think anyone remembered that one. 8-)
                >
                >> Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?
                >
                > What I meant was that is it wasn't actually a minimum requirement. It
                > was a bullshit requirement to cater to some marketroid's subjective
                > impression of what "acceptably fast" means.
                >
                > Peace... Sridhar
                >

                Perhaps, but I tried running Voice Type on a 486DX33 and it didn't work at
                all, so for VT I think even a Pentium 75 was probably just barely usable.
                The Warp4 box says 486DX33 minimum for installation, and like I said it was
                RAM for both Warp3 and Warp4 that made it usable, and was one of the major
                reasons for its demise since RAM was always at a premium in those days.
                OS/2's memory requirements were always at the high end of what was standard
                back then. And the more the better it ran. Now I have 2 GB and rarely get
                even close to using it all, and then only when I run XP from a VirtualPC
                under OS/2. So maybe it would install on a 386, but if its not really
                usable what is the point?

                Mark


                --

                From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org
                Warpstock Europe - http://www.warpstock.net


                For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE -
                http://www.os2voice.org

                "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the
                growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their
                democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of
                government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
                power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly
                Investigation, 1938
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.