OS/2 on a Toshiba lapmonster

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      Mark,

      What version of OS/2 might you recommend for my "new" Toshiba T6600C lapmonster (cira 1993)? It has 8M RAM. I have yet to run a diagnostics program on it so I don't know what the video chip is. It has a built-in Adaptec SCSI interface that runs the CD-ROM, which might affect reading a setup CD. Also, I installed an NE-2000 network card, so it would be nice if that worked as well. Any thoughts?

      Jim

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        Jim Scheef wrote:
        > Mark,

        I'm not Mark, but I've run OS/2 a lot, so I thought I might be able to
        take a swing at this.

        > What version of OS/2 might you recommend for my "new" Toshiba T6600C
        > lapmonster (cira 1993)? It has 8M RAM. I have yet to run a diagnostics
        > program on it so I don't know what the video chip is. It has a built-in
        > Adaptec SCSI interface that runs the CD-ROM, which might affect reading
        > a setup CD. Also, I installed an NE-2000 network card, so it would be
        > nice if that worked as well. Any thoughts?

        Anything newer than Warp 3 would probably do just fine. There's a bunch
        of new capabilities that would make Warp 4 very convenient. One is that
        it's very easy to install a late-model web browser.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • madodel
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
          Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
          > Jim Scheef wrote:
          >> Mark,
          >
          > I'm not Mark, but I've run OS/2 a lot, so I thought I might be able to
          > take a swing at this.
          >
          >> What version of OS/2 might you recommend for my "new" Toshiba T6600C
          >> lapmonster (cira 1993)? It has 8M RAM. I have yet to run a diagnostics
          >> program on it so I don't know what the video chip is. It has a built-in
          >> Adaptec SCSI interface that runs the CD-ROM, which might affect reading
          >> a setup CD. Also, I installed an NE-2000 network card, so it would be
          >> nice if that worked as well. Any thoughts?
          >
          > Anything newer than Warp 3 would probably do just fine. There's a bunch
          > of new capabilities that would make Warp 4 very convenient. One is that
          > it's very easy to install a late-model web browser.
          >
          > Peace... Sridhar

          Is this a 486 or 386? Warp 4 required a 486/33 minimum. And a Pentium/75
          for VoiceType. Also Warp 4 requires a minimum of 12MB, and 16MB would be
          better. Warp3 is leaner and I seem to recall installing it in as little as
          6 MB of RAM, but more is better, as anything less then 12MB I think used a
          lot of disk caching so it ran slow. Both versions of Warp required a 3.5"
          floppy to do the initial install boot. I think Warp 3 should recognize an
          Adaptec SCSI but you can find a complete 3.5" diskette version, but I
          think that was 20+ diskettes to swap out. Its been almost 15 years since
          I installed Warp3 and all the copies I have are at the Museum now. I'm not
          sure if OS/2 2.1 will work with the Adaptec/CDROM combo. I think I have a
          copy of OS/2 Unleashed, 2.1 here unless I took that to InfoAge as well. If
          I can find it I will look to see if it mentions a SCSI CDROM. That release
          had both CDROM and floppy disk versions also. I'm pretty sure I have a
          couple copies of 2.1 all diskette version at InfoAge.

          Mark

          --

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

          http://www.os2voice.org

          Investigation, 1938
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
            madodel wrote:
            > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
            >> Jim Scheef wrote:
            >>> Mark,
            >> I'm not Mark, but I've run OS/2 a lot, so I thought I might be able to
            >> take a swing at this.
            >>
            >>> What version of OS/2 might you recommend for my "new" Toshiba T6600C
            >>> lapmonster (cira 1993)? It has 8M RAM. I have yet to run a diagnostics
            >>> program on it so I don't know what the video chip is. It has a built-in
            >>> Adaptec SCSI interface that runs the CD-ROM, which might affect reading
            >>> a setup CD. Also, I installed an NE-2000 network card, so it would be
            >>> nice if that worked as well. Any thoughts?
            >> Anything newer than Warp 3 would probably do just fine. There's a bunch
            >> of new capabilities that would make Warp 4 very convenient. One is that
            >> it's very easy to install a late-model web browser.
            >>
            >> Peace... Sridhar
            >
            > Is this a 486 or 386? Warp 4 required a 486/33 minimum. And a Pentium/75
            > for VoiceType. Also Warp 4 requires a minimum of 12MB, and 16MB would be
            > better. Warp3 is leaner and I seem to recall installing it in as little as
            > 6 MB of RAM, but more is better, as anything less then 12MB I think used a
            > lot of disk caching so it ran slow. Both versions of Warp required a 3.5"

            I've run Warp 4 on a 386DX-33 w/4MB. It's painfully slow, but it runs.
            I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of a case
            of "minimum requirements".

            > floppy to do the initial install boot. I think Warp 3 should recognize an
            > Adaptec SCSI but you can find a complete 3.5" diskette version, but I
            > think that was 20+ diskettes to swap out. Its been almost 15 years since
            > I installed Warp3 and all the copies I have are at the Museum now. I'm not
            > sure if OS/2 2.1 will work with the Adaptec/CDROM combo. I think I have a
            > copy of OS/2 Unleashed, 2.1 here unless I took that to InfoAge as well. If
            > I can find it I will look to see if it mentions a SCSI CDROM. That release
            > had both CDROM and floppy disk versions also. I'm pretty sure I have a
            > couple copies of 2.1 all diskette version at InfoAge.

            I can tell you without hesitation that Warp 3 is leaner than 2.1. I was
            actually pleasantly surprised when I bought my first copy of Warp 3 and
            found that out. Warp 3 was faster than 2.1 on nearly every machine I
            tried it on.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
              > I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
              > a case of "minimum requirements".

              This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.
              Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?

              <classiccmp>
              My painfully slow experience was Java ?1.1 on a 486/33.
              Something like 90 seconds to process a mouseclick. This was
              actually trying something below the stated minimum requirements.
              </classiccmp>

              > I can tell you without hesitation that Warp 3 is leaner than 2.1. I was
              > actually pleasantly surprised when I bought my first copy of Warp 3 and
              > found that out. Warp 3 was faster than 2.1 on nearly every machine I
              > tried it on.

              Very interesting,

              John A.
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
                John Allain wrote:
                >> I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
                >> a case of "minimum requirements".
                >
                > This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.

                I didn't think anyone remembered that one. 8-)

                > Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?

                What I meant was that is it wasn't actually a minimum requirement. It
                was a bullshit requirement to cater to some marketroid's subjective
                impression of what "acceptably fast" means.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • madodel
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                  > John Allain wrote:
                  >>> I don't think it's a case of minimum requirements, but more of
                  >>> a case of "minimum requirements".
                  >> This sentence reads to me as absurdly obtuse, Absurdly Obtuse.
                  >
                  > I didn't think anyone remembered that one. 8-)
                  >
                  >> Care to try a second phrasing for us dense people?
                  >
                  > What I meant was that is it wasn't actually a minimum requirement. It
                  > was a bullshit requirement to cater to some marketroid's subjective
                  > impression of what "acceptably fast" means.
                  >
                  > Peace... Sridhar

                  Perhaps, but I tried running Voice Type on a 486DX33 and it didn't work at
                  all, so for VT I think even a Pentium 75 was probably just barely usable.
                  The Warp4 box says 486DX33 minimum for installation, and like I said it was
                  RAM for both Warp3 and Warp4 that made it usable, and was one of the major
                  reasons for its demise since RAM was always at a premium in those days.
                  OS/2's memory requirements were always at the high end of what was standard
                  back then. And the more the better it ran. Now I have 2 GB and rarely get
                  even close to using it all, and then only when I run XP from a VirtualPC
                  under OS/2. So maybe it would install on a 386, but if its not really
                  usable what is the point?

                  Mark

                  --

                  From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel