Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM PC and XT IS vintage (was: Debatably OT: Home needed for a IBM XT Clone)

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Right ... Tim, I did laugh out loud at your comment, but Bill's correct
      > -- context beats age.
      >
      > But having said that, (almost) anything 286 and newer ain't welcome here.

      Though I agree about windoze on any machine :-) , that rule would leave me
      out then. OS/2 only ran on 286 or better machines and a very limited
      subset of PowerPC machines. Not all 286/386/486 machines were in the same
      league. IBM's PS/2 line with MCA bus was a marvel of technology for the
      time and still has a loyal following and is actively collected. Both
      PS/2's and OS/2 have unfortunately met their end of life.

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

      http://www.os2voice.org

      Investigation, 1938
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
          There are plenty of exceptions. Ergo "almost" but not all.

          > Right ... Tim, I did laugh out loud at your comment, but Bill's
          > correct
          > -- context beats age.
          >
          > But having said that, (almost) anything 286 and newer ain't welcome here.

          Though I agree about windoze on any machine :-) , that rule would leave me
          out then. OS/2 only ran on 286 or better machines and a very limited subset
          of PowerPC machines. Not all 286/386/486 machines were in the same league.
          IBM's PS/2 line with MCA bus was a marvel of technology for the time and
          still has a loyal following and is actively collected. Both PS/2's and OS/2
          have unfortunately met their end of life.

          Mark

          --

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
            OS/2 and the PS/2 are OK with me personally. I think however, there is
            legit disagreement about whether these are "vintage".

            My very first job was at IBM as a college intern, and in the spring of '87
            they launched OS/2 and the PS/2 line was only a few months old. Later in
            the Spring the AS/400 was launched. I am not ready for 1987 to be vintage
            yet, makes me feel old. :-)
            Bill