Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM PC and XT IS vintage (was: Debatably OT: Home needed for a IBM XT Clone)

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 7:45 AM

      At 09:39 AM 4/1/2007 -0400, you wrote:
      Oh man... Evan's gonna have heart-failure!!! :-D

      (BTW - I agree with you Bill.) ;)

      --Timster--

      I am sure that he has nothing against list discussion topics regarding the IBM PC and XT, but speaking for Evan the line of the newer Windows-capable machines is off-topic in most cases.  Nothing is set in stone, and the context is more important than the model year.

      Bill

      Scott,
      An XT Clone is ON topic. I already have too many of these kinds of systems
      myself, but I hope someone takes up your offer. It's very useful to have a
      5 1/4" disk IBM-format system on hand, and a clone is nice because you
      don't have to risk damaging a brand-name box. Install a 720K 3.5" drive
      and you have a bridge between old and new.

      Further, I believe that IBM PC and XT is overlookedas an important vintage
      computer. The PC is one of the top 5 most important microcomputers in the
      era 1974-86, or any time for that matter..It would be apt if someone
      exhibited an IBM PC (or clone) at VCF this year. You can review the past
      VCF's and note the under-representation of the IBM PC from the list of
      exhibits...an easy exhibit for someone new to VCF.

      Bill
    • madodel
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 3:22 PM
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Right ... Tim, I did laugh out loud at your comment, but Bill's correct
        > -- context beats age.
        >
        > But having said that, (almost) anything 286 and newer ain't welcome here.

        Though I agree about windoze on any machine :-) , that rule would leave me
        out then. OS/2 only ran on 286 or better machines and a very limited
        subset of PowerPC machines. Not all 286/386/486 machines were in the same
        league. IBM's PS/2 line with MCA bus was a marvel of technology for the
        time and still has a loyal following and is actively collected. Both
        PS/2's and OS/2 have unfortunately met their end of life.

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

        http://www.os2voice.org

        Investigation, 1938
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 3:49 PM

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 4:28 PM
            There are plenty of exceptions. Ergo "almost" but not all.

            > Right ... Tim, I did laugh out loud at your comment, but Bill's
            > correct
            > -- context beats age.
            >
            > But having said that, (almost) anything 286 and newer ain't welcome here.

            Though I agree about windoze on any machine :-) , that rule would leave me
            out then. OS/2 only ran on 286 or better machines and a very limited subset
            of PowerPC machines. Not all 286/386/486 machines were in the same league.
            IBM's PS/2 line with MCA bus was a marvel of technology for the time and
            still has a loyal following and is actively collected. Both PS/2's and OS/2
            have unfortunately met their end of life.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 5:44 PM
              OS/2 and the PS/2 are OK with me personally. I think however, there is
              legit disagreement about whether these are "vintage".

              My very first job was at IBM as a college intern, and in the spring of '87
              they launched OS/2 and the PS/2 line was only a few months old. Later in
              the Spring the AS/400 was launched. I am not ready for 1987 to be vintage
              yet, makes me feel old. :-)
              Bill