Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM PC and XT IS vintage (was: Debatably OT: Home needed for a IBM XT Clone)

  • Timothy J Fagan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 6:39 AM
      Oh man... Evan's gonna have heart-failure!!! :-D

      (BTW - I agree with you Bill.) ;)

      --Timster--

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 7:45 AM

        At 09:39 AM 4/1/2007 -0400, you wrote:
        Oh man... Evan's gonna have heart-failure!!! :-D

        (BTW - I agree with you Bill.) ;)

        --Timster--

        I am sure that he has nothing against list discussion topics regarding the IBM PC and XT, but speaking for Evan the line of the newer Windows-capable machines is off-topic in most cases.  Nothing is set in stone, and the context is more important than the model year.

        Bill

        Scott,
        An XT Clone is ON topic. I already have too many of these kinds of systems
        myself, but I hope someone takes up your offer. It's very useful to have a
        5 1/4" disk IBM-format system on hand, and a clone is nice because you
        don't have to risk damaging a brand-name box. Install a 720K 3.5" drive
        and you have a bridge between old and new.

        Further, I believe that IBM PC and XT is overlookedas an important vintage
        computer. The PC is one of the top 5 most important microcomputers in the
        era 1974-86, or any time for that matter..It would be apt if someone
        exhibited an IBM PC (or clone) at VCF this year. You can review the past
        VCF's and note the under-representation of the IBM PC from the list of
        exhibits...an easy exhibit for someone new to VCF.

        Bill
      • madodel
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 3:22 PM
          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Right ... Tim, I did laugh out loud at your comment, but Bill's correct
          > -- context beats age.
          >
          > But having said that, (almost) anything 286 and newer ain't welcome here.

          Though I agree about windoze on any machine :-) , that rule would leave me
          out then. OS/2 only ran on 286 or better machines and a very limited
          subset of PowerPC machines. Not all 286/386/486 machines were in the same
          league. IBM's PS/2 line with MCA bus was a marvel of technology for the
          time and still has a loyal following and is actively collected. Both
          PS/2's and OS/2 have unfortunately met their end of life.

          Mark

          --

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

          http://www.os2voice.org

          Investigation, 1938
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 3:49 PM

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 4:28 PM
              There are plenty of exceptions. Ergo "almost" but not all.

              > Right ... Tim, I did laugh out loud at your comment, but Bill's
              > correct
              > -- context beats age.
              >
              > But having said that, (almost) anything 286 and newer ain't welcome here.

              Though I agree about windoze on any machine :-) , that rule would leave me
              out then. OS/2 only ran on 286 or better machines and a very limited subset
              of PowerPC machines. Not all 286/386/486 machines were in the same league.
              IBM's PS/2 line with MCA bus was a marvel of technology for the time and
              still has a loyal following and is actively collected. Both PS/2's and OS/2
              have unfortunately met their end of life.

              Mark

              --

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1 5:44 PM
                OS/2 and the PS/2 are OK with me personally. I think however, there is
                legit disagreement about whether these are "vintage".

                My very first job was at IBM as a college intern, and in the spring of '87
                they launched OS/2 and the PS/2 line was only a few months old. Later in
                the Spring the AS/400 was launched. I am not ready for 1987 to be vintage
                yet, makes me feel old. :-)
                Bill