Debatably OT: Home needed for a IBM XT Clone

  • us21090
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2007
      At the risk of introducing an off-topic msg, but since I'd hate to
      pitch this...

      Working IBM XT PC Clone I received from a freecycler. There's no name
      plate or model number on the case(!). Without dis-assembling the
      guts, I see no manufacturer name. That is, except on the Leadman 150W
      (wow!) power supply.

      640MB ram
      30+MB hardrive Model ST-238R (I believe is Seagate)
      Qty 2, 5.25 floppy drives (each 1/2 height)
      CGA adapter (its marked "VIP". Is that a brand?)
      Yellow phosphor monochrome CGA Samsung monitor
      XT Keyboard
      20-30 5.25 diskettes
      Dot matrix printer (brand/model: ?? and is untested)
      Cables for all this.
      Box of white fanfold paper
      Misc software (PC tools, Word Perfect 5, etc.)

      Boots up off the hard drive into DOS 3.3.

      I live near BWI, in Linthicum, MD

      Thanks,
      Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
        At 05:45 AM 4/1/2007 +0000, you wrote:
        >At the risk of introducing an off-topic msg, but since I'd hate to
        >pitch this...
        >
        >Working IBM XT PC Clone I received from a freecycler. There's no name
        >plate or model number on the case(!). Without dis-assembling the
        >guts, I see no manufacturer name. That is, except on the Leadman 150W
        >(wow!) power supply.
        >
        >640MB ram
        >30+MB hardrive Model ST-238R (I believe is Seagate)
        >Qty 2, 5.25 floppy drives (each 1/2 height)
        >CGA adapter (its marked "VIP". Is that a brand?)
        >Yellow phosphor monochrome CGA Samsung monitor
        ><snip>

        Scott,
        An XT Clone is ON topic. I already have too many of these kinds of systems
        myself, but I hope someone takes up your offer. It's very useful to have a
        5 1/4" disk IBM-format system on hand, and a clone is nice because you
        don't have to risk damaging a brand-name box. Install a 720K 3.5" drive
        and you have a bridge between old and new.

        Further, I believe that IBM PC and XT is overlookedas an important vintage
        computer. The PC is one of the top 5 most important microcomputers in the
        era 1974-86, or any time for that matter..It would be apt if someone
        exhibited an IBM PC (or clone) at VCF this year. You can review the past
        VCF's and note the under-representation of the IBM PC from the list of
        exhibits...an easy exhibit for someone new to VCF.