possibly interesting DECtape

  • ahm
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
      Did someone mention they might bring a PDP/8 with DECtape drive(s)?

      I have a tape that might be interesting to read/copy; it contains
      an operating system called P?S (Poly Question Society), that is,
      assuming the tape is still readable - it's almost 30 years old.

      If there's any interest, I can bring it.

      Cheers,
      Andy
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
        > Did someone mention they might bring a PDP/8 with DECtape drive(s)?

        That is my plan.

        > I have a tape that might be interesting to read/copy; it contains
        > an operating system called P?S (Poly Question Society), that is,
        > assuming the tape is still readable - it's almost 30 years old.

        Haven't heard of that one. Do you know what it was like?

        > If there's any interest, I can bring it.

        I have been able to get an error free dump of about 80-90% of the tapes
        I have tried. Only a few have had more than a few errors so we have a good
        chance of reading it.
      • ahm
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2005
          On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 06:17:27PM -0500, David Gesswein wrote:
          > > an operating system called P?S (Poly Question Society),

          > Haven't heard of that one. Do you know what it was like?

          Not after 30 years, I don't. :)

          > I have been able to get an error free dump of about 80-90% of the tapes
          > I have tried.

          What (or where) do you dump to?
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2005
            > > I have been able to get an error free dump of about 80-90% of the tapes
            > > I have tried.
            >
            > What (or where) do you dump to?

            I use the same web interface people use to run the machine over the net.
            It stores it on my webserver in SIMH format. The webserver is also retro,
            it is a 486/66 I upgraded to 133 with 64MB ram 40GB disk.

            The PDP-8/E is interfaced to the parallel port of the PC using a custom card
            I made that allows remote control of front panel functions and databreak
            access to memory. I will need to get a laptop setup to control it.

            David Gesswein
            http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
            Have any PDP-8 stuff you're willing to part with?