486PC for $150??

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2007
      Vintage Laser 486 PC computer Win 3.11 DOS 6.22 486DX2 Ebay Item number:
      290098067161

      At present 11 bids/$152.50. Can someone explain why 486's are sought
      after? Is the seller, billn41, on this list (the seller is from PA)? I
      am speculating that the price has something to do with the photos of Win
      3.1 that appears to work.

      Bill

      -END-
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
        If they are going for that much I really need to finally get around to
        retiring my web server. Its a 486DX2 66 upgraded to a 133. Must
        make it worth twice as much :-). Since its been so reliable since I
        set when it was only somewhat out of date it never seems to make it to
        the top of the todo list.

        David Gesswein
        http://www.pdp8online.com/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
          LOL ... I saved money in the summer of '93 to buy a 486DX2/33 for my
          sophomore year of college ... with a whopping 4M, it was plenty fast at
          running AutoCAD10 for DOS (I was an industrial design major at the time).
          Didn't imagine that I would ever need to upgrade.

          Of course if the seller does post about here, I'd whack him for being OT.
          ;)

          If they are going for that much I really need to finally get around to
          retiring my web server. Its a 486DX2 66 upgraded to a 133. Must make it
          worth twice as much :-). Since its been so reliable since I set when it was
          only somewhat out of date it never seems to make it to the top of the todo
          list.

          David Gesswein
          http://www.pdp8online.com/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights

          > Vintage Laser 486 PC computer Win 3.11 DOS 6.22 486DX2 Ebay Item number:
          > 290098067161
          >
          > At present 11 bids/$152.50. Can someone explain why 486's are sought
          > after? Is the seller, billn41, on this list (the seller is from PA)?
          > I am speculating that the price has something to do with the photos of
          > Win
          > 3.1 that appears to work.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
            But then again, there were so many S-100 boards out there that they
            had little value.  People were giving away S-100 systems in the 80s
            once they went to PCs.

            20 years from now, a clean 486 box might be a really unique item.
            Right now we "know" they're useless, so we toss them like everyone
            else does.  Before you know it, there aren't many working machines
            left, despite how common they might have been.

            Ford cranked out a lot of Model Ts, but they somehow managed to
            be worth something in this day and age.

            Bob

              ?

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
                I agree, the 486 has passed the bottom of the curve, same with Windows
                3.1. To find a working 3.1 system is not as easy as it was 5 years ago.
                If someone were to offer me a Pentium II and a 486, I would probably take
                the 486 myself.
                Bill

                >> Vintage Laser 486 PC computer Win 3.11 DOS 6.22 486DX2
                >> Ebay Item number: 290098067161
                >
                > Mystery to me (and probably an OT agony to some others).
                > Pretty much a dog except for the SB and the memory.
                > The eBay page presentation quality is just average.
                > ?
                >
                > It Is past the point for the "Dead Cat bounce" to hit 486 prices.
                > That is a concept that most tech collectors should be well familliar
                > with already:
                > the point at which prices stop declining, pass $0, and start back up.
                > The bounce point may be late for 486es because there were so infinitely
                > many of them.
                >
                > John A.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                -END-
              • John Allain
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
                    > Vintage Laser 486 PC computer Win 3.11 DOS 6.22 486DX2
                    > Ebay Item number: 290098067161

                    Mystery to me (and probably an OT agony to some others).
                    Pretty much a dog except for the SB and the memory.
                    The eBay page presentation quality is just average.
                    ?

                    It Is past the point for the "Dead Cat bounce" to hit 486 prices.
                    That is a concept that most tech collectors should be well familliar
                    with already:
                    the point at which prices stop declining, pass $0, and start back up.
                    The bounce point may be late for 486es because there were so infinitely
                    many of them.

                    John A.
                  • Bob Grieb
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
                      I love the way Yahoo posts the e-mails in random order
                      if they are fairly close in time. It's kind of like
                      watching "Memento"...

                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
                    • Herb Johnson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29, 2007
                        I kind of agree with Evan that 486 talk is a little off-topic, but
                        it's around the subject of the worth of "old" computer stuff. Since
                        there are other posts of interest to me in the thread, I have some
                        comments.

                        > From: John Allain
                        >
                        > > Vintage Laser 486 PC computer Win 3.11 DOS 6.22 486DX2
                        > > Ebay Item number: 290098067161
                        >
                        > Mystery to me (and probably an OT agony to some others).
                        > Pretty much a dog except for the SB and the memory.
                        > The eBay page presentation quality is just average.
                        > ?

                        Regarding the eBay 486 deal, just look at the actual bids, and the
                        bidders. It's two people bidding it up for reasons unknown, neither
                        appear to be computer collectors or avid users. Examine the evidence,
                        judge for yourself.

                        "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> wrote:

                        > But then again, there were so many S-100 boards out there that they
                        > had little value. People were giving away S-100 systems in the 80s
                        > once they went to PCs.

                        ..and they still are. S-100 cards are sold rather cheaply except for a
                        few. Our colleagues have posted here about systems given to them; I've
                        had systems given to me. Over 100 companies (or people) produced S-100
                        cards.

                        > 20 years from now, a clean 486 box might be a really unique item.
                        > Right now we "know" they're useless, so we toss them like everyone
                        > else does. Before you know it, there aren't many working machines
                        > left, despite how common they might have been.

                        In 20 years a 80846 system will be 30 years old, more or less. It
                        remains to be seen if boards and components from the 1990's will last
                        that long. I'm in the 1990's Mac computer business, so I have some
                        clues about problems.

                        Many of those Mac systems are corroded from moisture and mold, damaged
                        from battery leakage, broken due to copper rust on battery backed
                        chips (look at your car battery, that blue powdered stuff). Capacitors
                        short out or open up - no fun to find, hard to fix on those multilayer
                        boards. Plus, any physical damage, not to mention cosmetic damage. All
                        facts, I've seen this after just FIFTEEN years.

                        > Ford cranked out a lot of Model Ts, but they somehow managed to
                        > be worth something in this day and age.

                        ...whereas those Model T's, produced in the millions with minimal
                        variations, were made of pretty solid metal which even rusted can be
                        sanded, cleaned up, or welded up, painted, etc. There's a whole
                        industry of remanufactured parts. Hey, I'm sure unused old stock parts
                        still are sold.

                        I'm not an old car person - but my impression is that those cars are
                        valued as much for the restoration work that is done, than the
                        intrinsic value of the car itself.

                        S-100 cards, often only two-layer boards, with components still made
                        today, are much more repairable than 80486 systems. And, most don't
                        have batteries, a prime source of damage long-term. Many have already
                        survived 20 years, and 25, and 30.

                        Herb Johnson

                        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 29, 2007
                          Bob,

                          Well said. I watch for items from 'significant' manufacturers, like a Toshiba T6600C portable (386 or 486, not sure). At 19 pounds it's a transition machine between luggables like the early Compaqs and the truly capable laptops that came later. It's unusual enough to put in a closet for a while until Evan lusts to add it to his laptop collection. :-)

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2007
                            >>> I kind of agree with Evan

                            I think that's the first time, Herb! :)
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 29, 2007
                              Are you kidding?  That's from 1993.  Luggables were dead, and real laptops thrived, by the mid-1980s.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 29, 2007
                                Jim Scheef wrote:
                                > Bob,
                                >
                                > Well said. I watch for items from 'significant' manufacturers, like a
                                > Toshiba T6600C portable (386 or 486, not sure). At 19 pounds it's a
                                > transition machine between luggables like the early Compaqs and the
                                > truly capable laptops that came later. It's unusual enough to put in a
                                > closet for a while until Evan lusts to add it to his laptop collection. :-)
                                >
                                > Jim

                                Jim,

                                I have a Toshiba T5200 (386-20) that was donated from its original user.
                                Its not really an OS/2 machine as I think Toshiba only supported DOS/win
                                3.1 on it, but it should run OS/2 2.1 on it. Looks like a portable
                                typewriter with a an gas plasma mono orange screen and it weighs about 20
                                pounds.

                                Mark

                                --

                                From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel