Re: [midatlanticretro] Saturday Commodore PET 2001 workday

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
      B. Degnan wrote:
      > Byran Pope met me at my house today to help work on some PETs we have.
      >
      > In total 4 PET's were worked on today from less than functional systems
      >
      > 1) 2001-8 (sn ??)- when tape loading program, sometimes junk chars appear
      > on screen see #2 below)

      sn 29652

      > 2) 2001-8 (sn 20343)- (bad keyboard replaced)
      >
      > 3) 2001-32B (bad power supply replaced, monitor fixed see #1 below)
      >
      > 4) 2001-16N - (not fixed: RAM (?)
      >
      > 5) also semi restored a CBM 8250 disk drive using a B-128 and the
      > diagnostic from CBUG 48. Was not able to header a disk, but could read
      > directories in drive 0.
      >
      > Lessons learned:
      > #1 If your monitor is hissing pretty loudly but there is no smoke, the
      > suction cup connector may have come dislodged from the inner picture tube
      > chassis - re-attach

      And there is a nice orange glow coming from the end of the yoke...

      > #2 If you are having issues loading programs from the tape such as garbled
      > characters appearing on the screen, try loading the programs on an external

      When Bill says garbled characters on the screen, we aren't talking about
      when the system is started up, but while trying to LOAD a program.. For
      instance while searching the tape for a certain program (say, Police!)
      and the other programs found are spelled incorrectly or have garbled
      characters (like graphics characters).

      > tape drive by disconnecting the internal drive and using the port for your
      > external tape player. If you are successful loading programs from external
      > tape drive, 1) you may have a power supply problem 2) at least you know the
      > processor and RAM are probably OK.

      And exercise your machine!! :D

      I had a great time and it was very rewarding to get all of these
      machines working or working better, *especially* the 2001-32B! That was
      a high-five moment!

      Cheers,

      Bryan

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
        Friggin' awesome.

        #1 If your monitor is hissing pretty loudly but there is no smoke, the

        #2 If you are having issues loading programs from the tape such as garbled
        characters appearing on the screen, try loading the programs on an external
        tape drive by disconnecting the internal drive and using the port for your
        external tape player. If you are successful loading programs from external
        tape drive, 1) you may have a power supply problem 2) at least you know the
        processor and RAM are probably OK.

        Here are some hi-res pics:
        http://vintagecomputer.net/commodore/2001/
        (there are no pics of the 2001-32B or 2001-16N)

        Bill Deg

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See
        what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/0It09A/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
          B. Degnan wrote:
          > Byran Pope met me at my house today to help work on some PETs we have.
          >
          > In total 4 PET's were worked on today from less than functional systems
          >
          > 1) 2001-8 (sn ??)- when tape loading program, sometimes junk chars appear
          > on screen see #2 below)

          Also, this machine came up perfectly when I got home plus it is LOADing
          and SEARCHING for programs like it's 1977! ;)

          Cheers,

          Bryan
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
            Heh.  In the early 80s my folks bought a //e for me and my brother, a combined a birthday / Chanukah present (both of our birthdays are in the fall); my mother worked in the school system so she got the educational discount. We also got dual floppy drives, a koala pad, joystick, and the Imagewriter II printer.  But they refused to buy us a modem.  So I had to be nice to the Commodore 64 kid next door in order to get on the local bbs.   :)

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 11, 2007

              I have 3 Apples now, IIe, IIe Platinum, and IIgs.  When I was in high school during the early and mid 80’s all we had as Apple.  A couple days ago I went to my high school’s website and discovered that Apples are still quite popular at the school; they do have PC based computers as well.

              Heh.  In the early 80s my folks bought a //e for me and my brother, a combined a birthday / Chanukah present (both of our birthdays are in the fall); my mother worked in the school system so she got the educational discount. We also got dual floppy drives, a koala pad, joystick, and the Imagewriter II printer.  But they refused to buy us a modem.  So I had to be nice to the Commodore 64 kid next door in order to get on the local bbs.   :)

              I like the pics of the PET’s.  I’ve never used a PET, but I did have a Commodore Vic-20, Commodore C64, and Commodore C128.  I couldn’t afford an Apple IIE back then, so I stuck with Commodore, ah the good ole day.

              Jim K.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 11, 2007
                that's good to hear.
                Bill

                At 10:55 PM 3/10/2007 -0500, you wrote:
                >B. Degnan wrote:
                > > Byran Pope met me at my house today to help work on some PETs we have.
                > >
                > > In total 4 PET's were worked on today from less than functional systems
                > >
                > > 1) 2001-8 (sn ??)- when tape loading program, sometimes junk chars appear
                > > on screen see #2 below)
                > >

                >Also, this machine came up perfectly when I got home plus it is LOADing
                >and SEARCHING for programs like it's 1977! ;)
                >
                >Cheers,
                >
                >Bryan
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2007
                  If anyone is interested in a card reader like the one I had at last
                  year's VCF, there's a Documation M-1000L on Ebay, #180101502380. It's in
                  Lancaster, PA, opening bid is $25, no bidders yet. Auction ends tomorrow.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                    Hey guys ... PLEASE start signing up for your VCF East booths. Please
                    do not procrastinate. This is really important for our show marketing
                    efforts.

                    Just go to vintage.org, create your account, fill in the blanks. I know
                    many of you are still deciding the details of your exhibits. It is okay
                    to just enter one or two sentence for the description. That's better
                    than having possible attendees visit the site and seeing just four
                    exhibitors. You can always fill in more details later.

                    Thanks!
                    - Evan

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                      - "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                      > Hey guys ... PLEASE start signing up for your VCF East booths. Please
                      > do not procrastinate. This is really important for our show marketing
                      > efforts. Just go to vintage.org, create your account, fill in
                      > the blanks.

                      This reminds me to give members a head's up, that I'll be a VENDOR at
                      VCF. That means I want to sell stuff. If MARCH members (or list
                      members) want to buy something from me, please look over my Web site
                      and encourage me to bring some items. I have a tremendous number of
                      items on my site which were built before 1992. See if anything I offer
                      on my site, worth more than about $25, is of interest.

                      http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/

                      Contact me privately by email, unless you think your comments or
                      requests would be of general interest in this maillist.

                      I put a twenty-five dollar "floor" on items I'll bring, simply to
                      conserve space and effort. After all, small cheap items can be ordered
                      and mailed cheaply, directly from me.

                      General items I'd LIKE to bring include all my SGI equipment, much of
                      it is large, and it would not be expensive. Some older Apple Mac stuff
                      might be of interest. I have some test equipment, for those who do
                      repair, but few "comuterists" seem to go in this direction. I have
                      some odds and ends at the IBM PC computer board level, and some small
                      collections of Multibus, VME bus, and STDbus cards. And a few odd
                      desktop computers. (I have a few early IBM PC's for that matter, any
                      interest there?)

                      If I assemble a list of "likely items", I'll post a link here. If
                      MARCH posts a Web page of attending vendors (!), I'll put some info
                      there.

                      Herb Johnson

                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA