VCF East 4.0 exhibit / vendor registration is OPEN!

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
      Hi all,

      The VCF East 4.0 web site at www.vintage.org is now ready for use. The
      event, in case you forgot, is TWO days this year -- June 9-10.

      Exhibit booths and vendor booths cost the same. (At past VCFs it cost a lot
      more for a vendor booth than for an exhibit booth.)

      The single-booth fees are:
      $15 for paid MARCH members ($5 cheaper than last year)
      $25 for everyone else

      Discounts may be available for people who reserve multiple booths.

      We'll have almost twice as much physical space as last year, so we want as
      many exhibitors as possible. We'll accept vendors but that really is not
      the focus.

      PLEASE SIGN UP EARLY. AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.

      Even if you only have a general idea so far of your exhibit topic, that's
      fine. Go ahead and sign up. It makes life much easier for us in planning
      and marketing the event. If everyone waits until the last minute, then the
      public will go to the VCF web site and see what appears to be very little
      participation, and decide not to attend. Conversely, if people sign up
      early, it builds excitement for the event.

      Everyone will get much more "elbow room" this year. I promise.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
        Byran Pope met me at my house today to help work on some PETs we have.

        In total 4 PET's were worked on today from less than functional systems

        1) 2001-8 (sn ??)- when tape loading program, sometimes junk chars appear
        on screen see #2 below)

        2) 2001-8 (sn 20343)- (bad keyboard replaced)

        3) 2001-32B (bad power supply replaced, monitor fixed see #1 below)

        4) 2001-16N - (not fixed: RAM (?)

        5) also semi restored a CBM 8250 disk drive using a B-128 and the
        diagnostic from CBUG 48. Was not able to header a disk, but could read
        directories in drive 0.

        Lessons learned:
        #1 If your monitor is hissing pretty loudly but there is no smoke, the
        suction cup connector may have come dislodged from the inner picture tube
        chassis - re-attach

        #2 If you are having issues loading programs from the tape such as garbled
        characters appearing on the screen, try loading the programs on an external
        tape drive by disconnecting the internal drive and using the port for your
        external tape player. If you are successful loading programs from external
        tape drive, 1) you may have a power supply problem 2) at least you know the
        processor and RAM are probably OK.

        Here are some hi-res pics:
        http://vintagecomputer.net/commodore/2001/
        (there are no pics of the 2001-32B or 2001-16N)

        Bill Deg
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
          B. Degnan wrote:
          > Byran Pope met me at my house today to help work on some PETs we have.
          >
          > In total 4 PET's were worked on today from less than functional systems
          >
          > 1) 2001-8 (sn ??)- when tape loading program, sometimes junk chars appear
          > on screen see #2 below)

          sn 29652

          > 2) 2001-8 (sn 20343)- (bad keyboard replaced)
          >
          > 3) 2001-32B (bad power supply replaced, monitor fixed see #1 below)
          >
          > 4) 2001-16N - (not fixed: RAM (?)
          >
          > 5) also semi restored a CBM 8250 disk drive using a B-128 and the
          > diagnostic from CBUG 48. Was not able to header a disk, but could read
          > directories in drive 0.
          >
          > Lessons learned:
          > #1 If your monitor is hissing pretty loudly but there is no smoke, the
          > suction cup connector may have come dislodged from the inner picture tube
          > chassis - re-attach

          And there is a nice orange glow coming from the end of the yoke...

          > #2 If you are having issues loading programs from the tape such as garbled
          > characters appearing on the screen, try loading the programs on an external

          When Bill says garbled characters on the screen, we aren't talking about
          when the system is started up, but while trying to LOAD a program.. For
          instance while searching the tape for a certain program (say, Police!)
          and the other programs found are spelled incorrectly or have garbled
          characters (like graphics characters).

          > tape drive by disconnecting the internal drive and using the port for your
          > external tape player. If you are successful loading programs from external
          > tape drive, 1) you may have a power supply problem 2) at least you know the
          > processor and RAM are probably OK.

          And exercise your machine!! :D

          I had a great time and it was very rewarding to get all of these
          machines working or working better, *especially* the 2001-32B! That was
          a high-five moment!

          Cheers,

          Bryan

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
            Friggin' awesome.

            #1 If your monitor is hissing pretty loudly but there is no smoke, the

            #2 If you are having issues loading programs from the tape such as garbled
            characters appearing on the screen, try loading the programs on an external
            tape drive by disconnecting the internal drive and using the port for your
            external tape player. If you are successful loading programs from external
            tape drive, 1) you may have a power supply problem 2) at least you know the
            processor and RAM are probably OK.

            Here are some hi-res pics:
            http://vintagecomputer.net/commodore/2001/
            (there are no pics of the 2001-32B or 2001-16N)

            Bill Deg

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See
            what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/0It09A/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
          • Jim Kalin
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007

              I like the pics of the PET’s.  I’ve never used a PET, but I did have a Commodore Vic-20, Commodore C64, and Commodore C128.  I couldn’t afford an Apple IIE back then, so I stuck with Commodore, ah the good ole day.

              Jim K.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
                B. Degnan wrote:
                > Byran Pope met me at my house today to help work on some PETs we have.
                >
                > In total 4 PET's were worked on today from less than functional systems
                >
                > 1) 2001-8 (sn ??)- when tape loading program, sometimes junk chars appear
                > on screen see #2 below)

                Also, this machine came up perfectly when I got home plus it is LOADing
                and SEARCHING for programs like it's 1977! ;)

                Cheers,

                Bryan
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
                  Heh.  In the early 80s my folks bought a //e for me and my brother, a combined a birthday / Chanukah present (both of our birthdays are in the fall); my mother worked in the school system so she got the educational discount. We also got dual floppy drives, a koala pad, joystick, and the Imagewriter II printer.  But they refused to buy us a modem.  So I had to be nice to the Commodore 64 kid next door in order to get on the local bbs.   :)

                  I like the pics of the PET’s.  I’ve never used a PET, but I did have a Commodore Vic-20, Commodore C64, and Commodore C128.  I couldn’t afford an Apple IIE back then, so I stuck with Commodore, ah the good ole day.

                  &n

                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                • Jim Kalin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 11, 2007

                    I have 3 Apples now, IIe, IIe Platinum, and IIgs.  When I was in high school during the early and mid 80’s all we had as Apple.  A couple days ago I went to my high school’s website and discovered that Apples are still quite popular at the school; they do have PC based computers as well.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 11, 2007
                      that's good to hear.
                      Bill

                      At 10:55 PM 3/10/2007 -0500, you wrote:
                      >B. Degnan wrote:
                      > > Byran Pope met me at my house today to help work on some PETs we have.
                      > >
                      > > In total 4 PET's were worked on today from less than functional systems
                      > >
                      > > 1) 2001-8 (sn ??)- when tape loading program, sometimes junk chars appear
                      > > on screen see #2 below)
                      > >

                      >Also, this machine came up perfectly when I got home plus it is LOADing
                      >and SEARCHING for programs like it's 1977! ;)
                      >
                      >Cheers,
                      >
                      >Bryan
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3 5:27 AM
                        If anyone is interested in a card reader like the one I had at last
                        year's VCF, there's a Documation M-1000L on Ebay, #180101502380. It's in
                        Lancaster, PA, opening bid is $25, no bidders yet. Auction ends tomorrow.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                          Hey guys ... PLEASE start signing up for your VCF East booths. Please
                          do not procrastinate. This is really important for our show marketing
                          efforts.

                          Just go to vintage.org, create your account, fill in the blanks. I know
                          many of you are still deciding the details of your exhibits. It is okay
                          to just enter one or two sentence for the description. That's better
                          than having possible attendees visit the site and seeing just four
                          exhibitors. You can always fill in more details later.

                          Thanks!
                          - Evan

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                            - "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                            > Hey guys ... PLEASE start signing up for your VCF East booths. Please
                            > do not procrastinate. This is really important for our show marketing
                            > efforts. Just go to vintage.org, create your account, fill in
                            > the blanks.

                            This reminds me to give members a head's up, that I'll be a VENDOR at
                            VCF. That means I want to sell stuff. If MARCH members (or list
                            members) want to buy something from me, please look over my Web site
                            and encourage me to bring some items. I have a tremendous number of
                            items on my site which were built before 1992. See if anything I offer
                            on my site, worth more than about $25, is of interest.

                            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/

                            Contact me privately by email, unless you think your comments or
                            requests would be of general interest in this maillist.

                            I put a twenty-five dollar "floor" on items I'll bring, simply to
                            conserve space and effort. After all, small cheap items can be ordered
                            and mailed cheaply, directly from me.

                            General items I'd LIKE to bring include all my SGI equipment, much of
                            it is large, and it would not be expensive. Some older Apple Mac stuff
                            might be of interest. I have some test equipment, for those who do
                            repair, but few "comuterists" seem to go in this direction. I have
                            some odds and ends at the IBM PC computer board level, and some small
                            collections of Multibus, VME bus, and STDbus cards. And a few odd
                            desktop computers. (I have a few early IBM PC's for that matter, any
                            interest there?)

                            If I assemble a list of "likely items", I'll post a link here. If
                            MARCH posts a Web page of attending vendors (!), I'll put some info
                            there.

                            Herb Johnson

                            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA