Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair 680 Project Update

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 3, 2007
      Bill,

      That schematic is for the front panel on the 680b, they called it the
      "Display" panel, sheet 4/4 of the schematics. All the LD1 to LD 27
      diodes are actually the LEDs on there--LD for _L_ight emitting _D_iode--

      So for the 680b model, IC L is not needed for RS232, you can see on that
      schematic I scanned that the 6850 ACIA pins TX and RX are connected to
      the RS232 Level converter circuit using IC A, Q200, D200 and a few
      resistors. While the Baudot interface with IC L acutally bit bangs the
      baudot code out the connector.

      Also on the 680b--in the Assy manual--, the ACIA monitor fits in socket
      IC T while the other option back then was to order the 2 Baudot monitor
      Eproms which fit in sockets IC T and U. You said that your ordered the
      ACIA monitor eprom, right ?

      MITS obviously went through a big rev change to make the 680b. I've
      never had seen the Altair 680 up close, just the 680b.

      If they dont have the 680b schematics on there, I can scan mine this
      weekend. I can also scan the assembly doc --it'll take a while--which
      shows how to configure all the jumpers and components options--you'll
      have to excuse my notes that I scribbled on there--

      Funny you should ask about the I/O on mine, it's still wired for an ASR
      :) since we had access to a teletype back then. Mine works, but I'm only
      using the front panel right now. I'm in the middle of restoring the chip
      sockets 'cause they're getting old and flakey. Once I do that, I was
      going to switch it to RS232 and use my PC to get BASIC running on this too.

      If I'm lucky I can find a ADM terminal real cheap to sit beside this. I
      have my H9 terminal which belongs to my Heathkit H8, but it just doesn't
      match.

      =Dan

      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 20, 2011
        DG Eclipse S/140 from a couple of months ago, now on display in our museum, next to Perkin-Elmer 3120.